Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming out of Storage

Coming out of Storage

So I am still very new to Archery, and I have had my bow in its case stored for the winter. Is there anything I should be aware of before firing for the first time this year? Or is it presumed good to go?

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: Coming out of Storage

Depending on what you did before you stored it last fall........I'd go over the whole thing, give it a good visual inspection, looking for any obvious signs of wear and tear that may have gotten missed last fall.

Check your string/cables - look for excessive fraying or broken strands. Check for loose serving - especially where the cable/string goes around the cams and/or the idler wheel. Ask yourself - Does the string still feel like it has been waxed recently, or should you give it another waxing? Peep still securely in place? How do the string vibration dampeners look - do they need replacing?

Go over all the screws and bolts - making sure that they are tight, but don't over tighten them and run the risk of stripping the threads out of the riser.

Sight still looking good? Need to replace any optic threads?

After a close inspection and a passing grade - you should be good to go.

Thanks for all the good advice, now pardon my ignorance, waxing the strings? i have never done / heard of this. is it easy to to or should I be taking my bow some where to have it done?

Do it yourself. Just get some wax from the sporting goods store, and rub it in yourself.

...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Bow Walker Guest

Bow strings and cables are made up of many, many fibers that are woven into strands. When you're shooting the string and cable fibers and strands rub against each other creating friction and a lot of wear and tear - BTW the friction can be surprising in the amount of heat that builds up.

Waxing the strings and cables lubricates the fibers and strands so that they slide smoothly against each other. Minimizing any friction and wear/tear that may occur.

It's very important to keep your strings and cables waxed. It also protects them when you're shooting or hunting in the rain.

Rub the wax well into the string. The deeper it penetrates, the better it can protect. I use a silicone based wax and rub it in with a bit of supple leather. It protects your fingers from heat build-up while getting the wax to penetrate as much as it can.

Quote Originally Posted by NoahDawg View Post
    Do it yourself. Just get some wax from the sporting goods store, and rub it in yourself.

Why do I always end up rubbing things myself?

hahahahahah

Thanks for the tips.

Bow Walker Guest

If you want it done right - do it yourself............

My bow has been sitting for at least 3 years without being fired, any concerns? I waxed the string before it was set down but hasn't been touched since.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Bow Walker Guest

Depends on the storage conditions. Things like temperature range, and humidity. They can both be hard on a bow. Was the bow stored indoors (heated and relatively constant humidity) or out in a shed where it freezes in the winter and sweats during the summer?

If it was stored indoors then the above inspection details should cover you and your bow.

Thanx BW, mine has been in my basement, just wasn't sure if the string could "go bad" or dry out and when shot a few times it may snap.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education