Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly Pack

Re: Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly Pack

Just my $.02

Look at the mountaineering packs if you are looking at a bag for longer backpack trips. I can't speak to the Barneys or any of the other hunting"specific" packs, I have an Arctyrex Bora 80. Check out these packs if you get a chance, they make a 95 litre now. It seems to me that all the hunting packs have a fairly consistent $200-$300 surcharge "hunting" packs.

Continuing the chat about this pack. 4 of us will be going sheep hunting in sept and me right after late sept on a goat hunt with same pack, this fall 2 will wear this pack, I have used one for deer for a couple seasons and love it but I have just purchased the duffle spike camp attachment and see no reason why this won't be ok for us on a 9 day hunt, the other 2 are friends coming along to spot, one will use a Sitka pack and the other a 60-70L trekking pack

will post back after we are back from the hunt
    Last edited by Steelpulse; 07-05-2017 at 05:36 PM.

WKcotts I live in Castlegar and have the j107 if you'd like to take it for a test run I'd have no problem with that. Shoot me a pm if you want and we can arrange that no problem
    bugle em up! knock em down

I had one and sold it after 2 or 3 years. i would look at others. when I had a lot of weight in it it felt like someone was constantly pulling on my pack from behind, I walked like the hunchback of Notre Dame
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I had one and sold it after 2 or 3 years. i would look at others. when I had a lot of weight in it it felt like someone was constantly pulling on my pack from behind, I walked like the hunchback of Notre Dame
    That's the 'Eberlestock walk'. Because of it's narrow and short frame, there is nowhere for the weight in the pack to be except waaay behind you....forcing you to lean waaaaaay forward.

I have one (with spike duffle) and would never use a J107 for a backpack hunt of 8 or 9 days.
    I like it for day trips for deer but that's where the love affair ends.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    That's the 'Eberlestock walk'. Because of it's narrow and short frame, there is nowhere for the weight in the pack to be except waaay behind you....forcing you to lean waaaaaay forward.

I have one (with spike duffle) and would never use a J107 for a backpack hunt of 8 or 9 days.
    I like it for day trips for deer but that's where the love affair ends.

SSS
    Exactly. Especially with the spike duffel attached to it.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

My dad used one last year for a 12 day hunt and he liked it and it held up well. He had the spike duffle attachment, but keep in mind anything going into the duffel should be the lightest items in your pack. You want to keep anything heavy as close to your spine as you can. Also when the duffel was packed full the strap barely made it around to tighten it up. The side pockets were great size for fitting a tent, you could fit either a MSR hubba hubba NX or a Hilleberg akto (both the tents we had)

Quote Originally Posted by SaintSix View Post
    My dad used one last year for a 12 day hunt and he liked it and it held up well. He had the spike duffle attachment, but keep in mind anything going into the duffel should be the lightest items in your pack. You want to keep anything heavy as close to your spine as you can. Also when the duffel was packed full the strap barely made it around to tighten it up. The side pockets were great size for fitting a tent, you could fit either a MSR hubba hubba NX or a Hilleberg akto (both the tents we had)
    Did he pack out an animal and camp in it? Cause that's when the pain starts with an Eberlestock.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I took one on my first sheep hunt and had such a miserable experience that I bought a new pack on the way up for my second one the next year. It was a wrestling match all the way up and down the mountain with that thing.
    Last edited by 300rum700; 07-07-2017 at 12:10 PM.

With all the great packs on the market I still wonder why people would start with one that weights 8-9 lbs, EMPTY
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education