Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some help getting into archery

Looking for some help getting into archery

Hey all, been thinking about getting into archery this mainly for hunting but probably some target shoots as well but i've got a few questions. First ive never really shot a bow so i really dont know whether i would shoot right or left handed, and second what would be a decent affordable compound bow to start with. thanks for all your insight and sorry if this is in the wrong section
    "I have killed two people since midnight, I haven's slept in 24 hours. So maybe... maybe you should be a little more afraid of me then you are right now"

"Hunting is more than a sport and more than a job; hunting is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime."

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for some help getting into archery

Take a trip into "Hardcore Archery" in Kelowna. He can answer most of your questions.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dakoda62 View Post
    Take a trip into "Hardcore Archery" in Kelowna. He can answer (most) ALL of your questions.
    I edited dakoda62's post to reflect what I think of Hardcore......

Drop in and talk to the guys. You won't be sorry.

Spoke to Chuck at Hardcore Archery today as I am also soon going to be getting in to archery and he was very helpful and friendly, as you are in his neck of the woods I'd recommend stopping by for sure.

I've only ever heard great things about Hardcore

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

With regards to right vs left handed, usually you would go with your dominant eye. The advice on here is sound. Generally, when it comes to bows, you want to start out at a pro shop like Hardcore. They should help you figure out which eye and go from there.
    Don't ever forget that you just may wind up being wrong!! -- Jimmy Buffet

Bow Walker Guest

What eye is your dominant one when you shoot your rifle?

Should be the same for archery....

thanks guys ill definitly have to stop in there and check it out, as for my eye when shooting rifle im right eye dominant but from just checking bows out i almost feel as if i would be left eye, but i could be wrong lol but i guess ill find out when i stop by hardcore thanks again
    "I have killed two people since midnight, I haven's slept in 24 hours. So maybe... maybe you should be a little more afraid of me then you are right now"

"Hunting is more than a sport and more than a job; hunting is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime."

Bow Walker Guest

Try holding your thumb out at arm's length and cover a small object with the tip of your thumb (something that's at least 20 yards away) - keeping both your eyes open.

Then close one eye and see if your thumb seems to move off the covered object. If your thumb stays covering that object - that is your dominant eye.

All the best flyhigh_206. Sounds like you've been pointed in the right direction. Hardcore that is. Definitely a good start. As you are probably already aware, archery hunting is a different cup of tea than say hunting with a firearm. Not only will you have to familiarize yourself with a different weapon but you will have to learn a different style of hunting. It will take time and a lot of patience, but it will eventually come. I know of many hunters who have given up a little too easy. Be persistent and you taste sweet success eventually. Then you will be hooked for life. Good luck bud!
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!