Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Introducing DD Feival Vom Okanogan Flusstal ... A.K.A "GUNNAR"

Re: Introducing DD Feival Vom Okanogan Flusstal ... A.K.A "GUNNAR"

Hey Big slapper. So please tell me why you werent able to connect with a bird. Did they fly before you were in range ? Were you able to take any shots ? Curious minds would like to know. Trying to learn some tips before I get out. I do know its not easy. Pm if you like . im hoping to get out end of oct or nov 1/2. Great pics. Thanks for sharing

VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

In the midst of VJP training, I came across an article I wrote 8 years ago recounting my VJP experience with my DD/gundog "GUNNAR". Can't remember if I posted it here but thought you might like to have a read. Gunnar is now 9, acts like he is two and is currently sitting under my desk nursing a sore paw from a recent scouting outing. For you newbies (and veterans alike) hope you enjoy .... and Rod, say hello to Carlo!

15 HOURS TO MALTA
    A B.C. BOY’S FIRST VJP EXPERIENCE ….

By Brad Klock AKA "The BigSlapper"

“It’s only a 15 hour drive to Malta, Idaho”, I thought, when I first viewed the 2012 VJP schedule. “After all I’ve lived my life on the road … travelled a ton … piece of cake”. Just another one of BIGSLAPPER’s “excellent” adventures, right?

And so it began …

I came to know the DD breed while playing hockey in Germany. Living in Europe for some 7 years, I became (and remain) best friends with a German outfitter, who’s Austrian professional hunter has DD’s. Long story, but I grew up in a hunting family. Over many years of hunting the German & Austrian Alps for Stag, Chamois, Roe deer, Fox, Ducks and Birkhuhn (Black Grouse), I fell in love with Nora the DD. After witnessing an obeyed belly crawl command while stalking a Chamois at the 10,000 foot level, I vowed one day, I would have my own versatile 4x4 that would belly crawl with me.

My pup was born “Fievel Vom Okanogan-Flusstal” on April 1, 2011 (an “F” litter male out of Lee Root’s kennel in Omak, WA) – that’s right, April Fool’s Day. And true to his birth date, he is a joker. His name was “GUNNAR” from the start, or as my girlfriend likes to call him … “The Digger” (due to the fact our lovely manicured yard and gardens, after the first 3 months, looked like the WW I bomb blemished fields of the Somme). Bottom line, I loved him to death from the “get go” and he quickly become an integral part of our family … frankly, I’m not sure what we would do without him? … and for the record … I’m 48, a seasoned and passionate hunter … and Gunnar is my first dog.

I knew nothing about training a versatile hunting dog going into this.
    The commitment I made to myself and Gunnar (and to Lee) was to provide love, patience and the environment and opportunity a dog of his pedigree, character and DNA deserved. I hunt 60+ days a year … both fur and feather, so you get an idea of what opportunity Gunnar has had in his first 13 months on earth. We are truly a “work in progress” though … good and bad … something that was not lost on me during that 15 hour drive to Malta. Did I mention that 15 hours is a hell of a long time to come up with excuses …?

Being a “newbie” has meant hours of online research, sourcing out books and DVD’s, listening, watching, trying, failing and trying again … and hoping you are doing the right thing. Working farmer’s fields, buying chukar and pigeon at auction, driving all over “hell’s half acre” to get a training day in … and did I mention the cost of clothing, training gear, eCollars, truck crates, food, treats, first aid kits, insurance … and new garden plants?

Driving to the VJP, I had a lot of time to think … the last 8 or 9 months running through my mind. I was excited, fearful, nervous, cocky … you name it, I was experiencing it. It was the butterflies I experienced game day while playing hockey … and I loved it. My biggest fear was to make a rookie handling mistake that would jeopardize Gunnar’s chance at a good score. Were we good enough? … I didn’t even know what a good score was!

We arrived into Malta, Idaho on a Thursday evening, a day early by design. The first group (25 dogs over the weekend) was to run on the Friday and I wanted to make sure I was able to take it all in as a spectator, prior to our scheduled run early Saturday. The idea was to pick up as many tips that I could that would help Gunnar make up for my inexperience as a handler - can you say “competitive”!

At a training session in Washington State a few weeks previous, I had the pleasure of meeting another B.C. boy, Rod Dirks and his pup Carlo. We had kept in touch as we realized we would both be in Malta and made arrangements to take in the Friday together. Comparing notes and supporting one another through the process would be a good thing. What a couple of coconuts we were.

Friday morning we were up at 6 a.m. for a 7 a.m. start. We met the first group and judges at a local restaurant for introductions and a briefing on the day’s agenda. Through all of this, it was REALLY clear Rod and I were new to all this as there was a lot of back-slapping and handshakes among the “good ole boys” who’s first VJP rodeo was a distant memory. Now, I’m 6’3” and 230 lbs and Gunnar is 72 lbs … Rod towers above me and Carlo was pushing a lean 90 lbs as an 11 month old pup! I can only imagine the quiet conversation among the “good ole boys” and judges about these two big “green” Canadian “galloots” showing up with their pups! Yup, they found out … we grow em big North of the border.

After the dogs were encouraged to clean themselves out, we were organized in a long line to beat the sage for rabbits. Now … right away I figured we were going to be in trouble. Our training area just doesn’t hold Jack Rabbits, not to mention sage, cactus or snakes. The only rabbit Gunnar had experienced to this point was in the training session weeks before where he surprised the hell out of me by immediately tracking it down, grabbing it (with a look on his face like “what the hell is this in my mouth”?) and retrieving it elegantly to my hand … he blew me away as this was all him and his natural ability (ya wolle! … Verbands Jugend Prufung hier wir kommen!).

The morning flew by with rabbit sightings and dogs and handlers trying to track them down. It became very clear to me that handlers and experience can add a great deal to a dog’s attitude, chances and score – not to mention a judge that has had a strong cup of coffee with a keen spotting eye. Again I was worried. I knew nothing and I felt bad for Gunnar. The cool thing though, was that I also knew Gunnar and his instincts, and I found it buoyed my hopes. The other thing I noticed was that as good as the handlers were, a number of the dogs were clearly following their own agenda. Again I was buoyed as maybe there was a slim chance of getting through this alive. Throughout the morning I checked in with Rod as we walked the line and he was picking up the same info I was. Both of us were nervous. About this time, Gunnar jumped a big jack rabbit, and all hell broke loose …
    Now, what you don’t know is, earlier that morning we had asked the judges and handlers if we could take our dogs “along for the ride”, without them actually participating (first timers and all). All seemed fine with it so off we went. I knew that Gunnar was “sicht loud” (sight loud) but had no idea how “amped up” he would get when squaring off face to face with a big ole “Jack”. Needless to say, it was a bit embarrassing trying to calm him down while the judges tried to huddle to discuss another dogs tracking score!

We broke for lunch in a new area where handlers were briefed on the next step of gunfire sensitivity and search for planted chucker. Over the break and a big fat ham & turkey hoagie, I had a chance to chat with a few of the handlers and break the ice. What a good group of guys they were, even if they didn’t speak Canadian! As excited as I was to soak up any info offered, they seemed just as excited that we were down from Canada and pumped about these damn versatile dogs! Just like my teammates over the years playing hockey … I found a new group with similar passion. I still wanted to beat them.

All the dogs breezed through the gunfire sensitivity testing and I was excited to confirm, Gunnar’s reaction while hunting and training to be similar to the others … BOOM !!!! … where’s the bird? The wind was howling and with the exception of 2 of the 5 dogs, all easily found and pointed the planted chukars. I couldn’t help but think that DD’s are amazing dogs but, the seeds of doubt were creeping in as I knew Gunnar had a great nose but was quick to rush in on birds, at times, without pointing. At the end of the test (it was a long day – and keep in mind we were merely auditing the day) the 3 judges and one apprentice, convened to discuss the dogs and the scores of the day. The scores were announced to all, and most were very good, with the exception of a couple who, as I had mentioned earlier, were clearly on their own agenda that day. Everyone has a tough day now and again. After a de-brief with Rod on the day’s events, I headed back to the hotel for a big steak and a glass of vino. It was a sleepless evening for me … Gunnar, on the other hand, slept like a baby crowding my side of the bed.

The alarm woke us at 5 a.m. – game day.
    I have to say … I’m not a morning person but I love hanging with Gunnar early a.m., because no matter what time – he is just damn happy to see me. Did I mention how great this is …?

So going into competition, I’ve always been superstitious and very deliberate. Left skate first, then right … inside-out long sleeve shirt, tape the stick heel to toe, always white tape and a puck to mark the white tape black … and so on. Going “into battle” as a newbie to dogs and a VJP, I didn’t have a routine! Again, seeds of doubt and fear crept in, hoping I would not let Gunnar down.

Part II next .....
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    www.bigslapper.com

Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Part II ....

Same as the previous day, we met the new group at the restaurant for breakfast and most importantly a good “Cup-a- Joe”. Fuel is important (and a comfort) to a large nervous man. Rod and his wife were already there and we had a short time together to compare notes, drink our coffee and generally prepare for what we had witnessed the day previous. The dogs remained in our trucks, I’m sure, oblivious to what was about to take place.

In a new area for rabbits, with a heavy wind swirling, we beat the sage for the elusive jack rabbit. 10 minutes in, the first rabbit broke cover in front of us (we were on the end of the line) so we were up. I hadn’t seen the rabbit’s “hot spot” where he had been sitting, but did see his path some 15 yards out. The judge pointed out the “hot spot” and I took note of the wind. I moved Gunnar up quickly into what I thought was the appropriate position and let him take it all in. Off he went with nose to the ground. Back and forth. It was obvious he was trying to pick up a scent and trail, but with the howling wind it was difficult. After 5 minutes, the judges had me call him in. Gunnar didn’t want to quit but our first track was over as quickly as it started. The judges huddled together out of ear-shot and I stood there wondering what had just happened. As the morning wore on, all the dogs had several opportunities on track, with rabbits seemingly in better supply than the day previous. It was windy and cold, and in catching up with Rod a few times over the course of the morning, we didn’t really know what to make of our tracks or how well our dogs did. We ended up looking at each other, shrugging our shoulders and agreeing we would leave it all up to our pups … and of course the judges.

The next segment followed the same course of action as the day before. We moved on to a new area where the dogs would be judged on gunfire sensitivity and search ability. We broke out the lunch and fueled up (again, very important to a large, nervous man) and got underway. One of the judges had explained to the group that because of the earlier conditions there were two dogs that they would like to see track again, if the opportunity arose while in the search. Gunnar was one of the dogs – and I was now very concerned. We were called up to search (we were third) and the judge articulated why they would like to see Gunnar track one more time if possible. I listened intently, took it all in but still was a little unsure what they were looking for. Nonetheless, off we went.

200 yards into the field (or perhaps I should say valley) Gunnar was tested for gunfire sensitivity. Boom x2 !!! … “where’s the bird”?
    Not a flinch, not a care in the world, so I breathed a soft sigh of relief (one never knows right?). As we continued to walk into the area where we were about to search, the absolute perfect scenario unfolded before us. The judge to my left shouted out “RABBIT”!!!! … at about the same time I saw it. I had even noted where it had been sitting. Gunnar had not seen it take off. I quickly brought Gunnar up on the track and watched as I witnessed, first hand, what a perfect track is supposed to look like. A whole lot different than what I had witnessed hours before …“Now that is what it’s supposed to look like”!!!! …“Got It”!!
    It was clear the judges were pleased with what they had just witnessed and I couldn’t have been happier. They reminded me that his final tracking score would be based on his “body of work”, … so I braced myself. We continued on through the search phase and although not stellar, it was pretty good. I was still smiling from the track we had just completed so for the moment, it really didn’t matter.

Back to the truck and once again I checked in with Rod. The judges were busy planting birds as we chatted and both of us were nervous about this final segment. In talking, we both realized our pups were quick to jump in, often times only pointing briefly and many times, not pointing at all. We also confirmed that both our pups had “chewed” on a few birds during training.

With the wind still swirling, Gunnar was called up to work the field with the planted Chukar. I could see the markers and took stalk of the wind. I moved up to where we could angle in … and let Gunnar go. Now about this time I’m pretty sure I forgot to breath. Although it had never happened, I had visions of my pup running in, howling like a “banshee” and tearing into the first chukar he came across. Well … it could not have gone any better. I watched my pup search the field like a seasoned veteran. Angling beautifully, nose working furiously into the swirling wind … and then watched with amazement the instant he caught scent. It was like I was watching a “live” instructional video. As soon as he caught scent he moved in beautifully and stopped on full point, leg cocked … and held by God! I think this was about the time I realized I had better breath. Both the judge and I stood and looked at each other … both of us with massive smiles spreading across our faces. He indicated to me I should go and get my pup. Gunnar was still holding. Unbelievable. Coming back to join the judge, he chuckled and said in his Southern Georgian “drawl” … “I reckon we could go and find that second bird, but after a display like that , I’m thinking you’ll take that score with you back to the truck” … and so I did.

With all the dogs completing their runs, we gathered around the trucks to chat and let the judges do their thing. 20 minutes later, we circled to hear our scores. Now, I remembered back to college when exam marks were posted … I had the same feeling standing there in that circle. Dread, excitement, anticipation and a generous dose of relief that it was all over.

Coming into the VJP, I had targeted a score of 65 as our goal. This would qualify us for the Armbruster and anything above this and I would be ecstatic … anything below I would be mildly disappointed. Gunnar’s scores were read out to the group and somewhere I forgot to breathe again … 9 on Track (1, 10 on Nose (20), 9 on Search, 10 on Point (that beautiful point!) and 9 on Cooperation. Our total was 66 points and I was ecstatic. What made the day even better … Rod’s pup Carlo was the day’s top dog registering a “smoking hot” 72! After some back slaps and hearty congratulations (and a few celebratory cold “pop’s” with the group), we said our good-byes, loaded up and just like that … it was over and we were headed home.

A month has passed at the time of this writing and I’ve now had time to reflect on the “take aways”. I think the biggest thing I realized is how much of an influence the experienced handler has on the pup, versus the inexperienced handler. You have to start sometime/somewhere, but it was extremely evident that experienced handlers (and their pups) generally have the better scores (and Rod, if you are reading this, you are an anomaly my friend – well done). And I guess the best take away for me as a new “handler” is not to sell myself short on the training time we put in and to know that my pup is on his way to becoming a far better hunter than I am a handler.

And so … 15 hours to Malta … would I do it all again?
    … in a heartbeat.
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    www.bigslapper.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Great write up. Congratulations to both you and Rod and your dogs. It’s a pretty good feeling when all that training pays off.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Congrats to you and Gunnar.

Your documenting of the feelings of nervousness, pride and satisfaction during the competition put one right there with you.

Well done.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.