Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gambier and Lower Mainland Deer Hunting

Gambier and Lower Mainland Deer Hunting

Does anyone have any recent experience with black tail deer on Gambier Island or just information about the Island itself ?

I am interested in taking my wife and boys out for at least a long weekend in November, hopefully to coincide with the antler less opening in November.

Excluding the grouse last weekend with the kids I haven't done any hunting in the lower mainland so a little local knowledge would be invaluable.

I am a little concerned about identifying private property and getting around the Island. The topo maps I have of the area have given me basic feel for the land but the maps don't identify private property other than Camp Artiban.

Thank you.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gambier and Lower Mainland Deer Hunting

Gambier can be spotty. I pulled a nice 2 point out of there two years ago but my partners didn't see much. Anterless should be fine though. We hunted brigade bay, which has since been developed heavily. You might try around the edges of the development though. They were rutting pretty hard last time I was there in Nov.

We are from the sunshine coast,and hunted every square inch of Gambier.Douglas bay was very good.We would get 4 bucks in 3 days at the time when you're going(just the 2 of us) .Get a comeheredeer call .There is sooo much development on the island,to find a place to hunt is going to be hard.We don't try there anymore after 20 years of hunting any more.Have fun and try and tell us how it went.By the way we all here call it two point island.4 to 6 year old deer with a two point rack,all over the place.
    Last edited by tooty; 10-18-2006 at 05:46 PM.
    Big bullets ,Big holes ,Big meals...

I'm trying to think where you can go on Gambier that's not private access.West bay is bad ,center bay bad,long bay bad.Big money houses are popping up there all over.Try Douglas still but I'm not sure 100%.There was lots of old mine roads running up to left of the bay.But a big development went in and i'm not sure how you can get in there,but I'll try to find out for you if I can.

Unfortunately the island is getting developed right around it. Brigade and Douglas Bay are now subdivided and I know Brigade is getting developed but I do not know as of yet (not back there this year) how things are progressing in Douglas Bay. I have spent a lot of time on the island and I would think you may have to stay high away from the water or perhaps over towards the east end of the island??? But that is just a guess. If you have a boat and can get permission.....try Anvil Island. I spend time over that at a friends family's place and we are generally there in November for a "wood chopping/prawning/beer drinking weekend" and there are a good number of deer on the island with some not bad looking bucks.

I don't know who you would talk to but the permanent resident on the island is the managers at Daybreak Bible Camp (could be a warm or cold reception to asking permission ) who may be able to help you out. They do have a water taxi that they run so who knows? I have never asked but I will be up there in November and I can check in on it.

Maybe Elkhound who is in Gibson's or Sechelt (can't remember which) may have an idea as to Gambier and who to talk with.

Here are a couple of links that may help you out.

http://www.rickgustavson.com/develop...erTrailMap.pdf

The following link shows some pictures and links if you click on the developments which may show where they are at to this point.

http://www.rickgustavson.com/featuredListings.html

His main page may have some contact info and has a lot of information on the island....places to stay etc.

www.rickgustavson.com

http://www.islandstrust.bc.ca/ltc/gm/default.cfm

Good luck if you make it over and.........bring rain gear.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 10-19-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MB_Boy
    Maybe Elkhound who is in Gibson's or Sechelt (can't remember which) may have an idea as to Gambier and who to talk with.
    To tell the truth I have never hunted Gambier. I have buddies who have but the last few years the development on the island is incredible. Not to mention there are a few yahoos that hunt over there. I have one buddy that was almost shot on 2 different occassions because someone has not taken the time to identify their target.

I know tooty personally and I am sure with his experience of the place he will be of great help for you. Good luck and post your hunt results.

OK I have a old secret spot that's about to become not so secret anymore.Go to the west side of the island and look for the booming ground markers on the shore.You will see a #3 ,#5,#7.At the 7 ground marker there is an old skidder road there,it's steep,and it will take you high .Go very slow right off the beach.The road does split aways up.The timber is very nice in there.You will shoot deer here.Look at the link on the other post from MB Boy and you will see the trail on the map.I don"t think it's a good place to camp.Douglas Bay would be the best place to camp,unless you can stay on your boat,which is what we always did.Look hard for the trail it is there.Have a peek at Douglas ,but look for the creek in the bay.On the left side of the creek is an old mine road that takes you up the island.I don't think they have wrecked that side of the bay yet.That's all there is that's not walking past peoples homes dragging a corpes behind you.And one more thing,most of bucks at the rut will be low.We've shot nice bucks right off the beach .Nice easy drag.
    Last edited by tooty; 10-19-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Way to go Tooty.........now next weekend there will be a dozen guys looking for that trail near #7 marker

Yah ,well I don't go there anymore.they can have at it .

Quote Originally Posted by tooty
    OK I have a old secret spot that's about to become not so secret anymore..
    I heard that all sailings of the Horseshoe Bay/Langdale crossing are sold out and full for today and tomorrow? What gives??