Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longline anchor day

Longline anchor day

Figured we'd make some good longline anchors instead of my window sash weights and normal round ball ones. The design has been stolen from Bryan as we saw his last season and thought they were the cats meow.

Worked out really well, and they should perform as good as they look haha

Thanks Kelly for the extra lead. Went to a good purpose.

Melting it outside

One poured into the mold

They cant roll in the boat or on the seafloor, and store nicely all together compared to other weights.

1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Longline anchor day

Hmm I wonder why you are making longline anchors?

I would of had pictures of them Ian but got there too late and just as we walked up to the spot, eddy the eagle came swooping in and sent them out into the deep water.

Owell. Wasnt that sunny out early on so the pics wouldn't of been that stellar. Here's an oldie but a goodie.

1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

what are you using for a mold? and how much do they weigh? i like em!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Did ya weigh one, they look pretty heavy to me. Look good though, did ya try the cold water dip? K

We didnt weigh any but I'd have to guess they are 5-7lbs probably.

Kelly we did do the cold water dunk for the first one and it seemed I work but then ran into a problem with the lead running into the tiny gap between the angle iron and the sides so the only way to get out was to pretty much hammer them out after they setup completely. They are pretty good though, I just went along the edges with a hammer after and smoothed everything out.

And the mold Lorne, Matt cut pieces of 3" angle iron in 6" lengths then welded sides on them. Gotta make sure the mold is all level aswell or the lead will be thicker on one side

These are great anchors---I've got to make a few more mysef see'ins how I managed to throw one overboard last year before tying it on.

I got that story beat Bob. Last year I took my little punt into the port and only took a longline and 3 weights.

I used the three weights to create a v with one side longer then the other. Anyways I called it a day and pulled all my decoys off the line and before I even remembered let the line go and it sunk with two weights and I couldn't find it.

We went back the next day on low tide and went way out and finally found it by luck walking back. Got really lucky hahaha

Also the weight of the anchors is average 8lbs. Could get away with a bit smaller but it's good.

A little bit too heavy is way better than a little bit too light.