Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kamloops Hunt test

Kamloops Hunt test

I see on BC retriever news that the Kamloops hunt test is cancelled this year, anyone know why? It is/was the only hunt test outside of the lower mainland/island!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kamloops Hunt test

Quote Originally Posted by Little River Duck Dog View Post
    I see on BC retriever news that the Kamloops hunt test is cancelled this year, anyone know why? It is/was the only hunt test outside of the lower mainland/island!
    Well that sucks...for those who are running their little dogs!

Pick your judges carefully!!

The lab club flipped their test to June also...usually it is in April

Anybody know why Kamloops cancelled?

Too much turn over in the membership and are unable to find anyone to step up and help out

I synpathazie, but most other clubs are doing most of the work with with less than a dozen workers. They have always been a small group but less than many of us. Sad... I hope they can pull it together in the future with the few that they have.
    Traditioanlly they have always put on a great event. If you get rid of the belss ans whistles thet would still be doing a better job than many..... hope they can work thru the challenges.

Just a bit of rambling from me, I thought HT were supposed to be a bit of a feeder system for FT's. Based on this it would seem neither game is well supported. Twenty years ago when I ran FT I was one of the younger guys playing, now Im 49 and guess what, Im still that younger guy. I know there are a few FT people on here, and there must also be some HT competitors as well, just thought we could talk about the decline in FT entries ( retriever ) and where you think both games will be in 5 or 10 years, we are here to talk right?

Jimsue is right....I can remember when a Kamloops field trial would attract 85 entries in the Open stake alone......now there is not even enough interest to support a hunt test. And, as he pointed out, there are very few youing people being attracted to the sport, just the few 'old-timers' who are still campaigning after 30 or more years in the sport.
    Some of the main reasons for this decline are the loss of suitable training areas, opposition to the use of ducks and pheasants for training and trialing, and the high cost of travelling to train and participate.
    In the lower mainland, it is next to impossible for retriever owners to find training areas that they can use. Trainers using birds are often harrassed by people who object to the use of any birds for this purpose. As an example of expense, a resident on Vancouver Island participating in a week-end trial at Kamloops (or vise-versa) would be looking at about $500 in ferry costs, gas, entry fees, motels, meals etc.
    About 15 years ago, I tried to promote the use of 'Dokken Ducks' (or artifcial birds) for hunt tests and trials. Nearly all the old-timers I contacted, with a couple of exceptions, were vehemntly opposed to the idea, typically "when that day ever comes I'll quit". I still think it's the only practical way to have the sport flourish, and from my experience, these wonderful animals will work almost as enthusuiastically for artificial birds as for the real ones.

I am working on getting the kamloops hunt test back on track. Bopper time to be gun cap, Jimsue what are you willing to do, Kasomor what about you? Deb I know you are always willing to help, you have a dog named SUE!!! NMH!!!! Lets get off the fence and make this happen!!!
    Last edited by bcgamebirds; 02-22-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Four people dont make a hunt test, the last time I was at one in Kamloops there was a ton of people running, where are they all now? I work at three big FT's in the states with two different clubs, most people that are involved in the game down there work there ass off at one or two trials. Good throwers and gunners are treated like royality and paid accordingly. This will probably blow up in my face but as an outsider up here, there seems to be squabling between clubs. Yes its not all cake and roses south of the 49 either. So when was this event to be? and I will let you know if Im available. I have thick skin so if its on your mind say it....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsue View Post
    Four people dont make a hunt test, the last time I was at one in Kamloops there was a ton of people running, where are they all now? I work at three big FT's in the states with two different clubs, most people that are involved in the game down there work there ass off at one or two trials. Good throwers and gunners are treated like royality and paid accordingly. This will probably blow up in my face but as an outsider up here, there seems to be squabling between clubs. Yes its not all cake and roses south of the 49 either. So when was this event to be? and I will let you know if Im available. I have thick skin so if its on your mind say it....
    Boy thats a fact went thru the same back in the 80s when we were trying to get spaniel trials off the ground in B.C. Same 4 or 5 doing all the work then either people would show up, run and go OR worse yet be no shows at the last min. Keep the faith guys here's hoping you can do something.

Good Lyck

FG
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.