Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 SPRING TURKEY CONTEST rules and sign up.

2012 SPRING TURKEY CONTEST rules and sign up.

1. HBC SPRING TURKEY CHALLENGE

YES it is getting close to turkey season and the time for chasing those birds is quickly approaching! So why not make it a little more interesting this year. Enter this annual event in which any members of HBC can join (nothing like a little healthy competition). We had 26 members join last year’s contest and it went pretty well. I am hoping to get more people involved this year. Anyone wishing to join can sign up here, also anyone wishing to donate prizes can PM me and post here.

The 2011 camps were, Team LONG BEARDS ‘n’ LIMB HANGERS (Braggadoe, Uraarchr, Nickroth89, ShallowH2O, Shaker and triggr31) with 3 birds down and a score of 169.5. Let’s see if we can beat that and crown new champs for 2012.

Rules:

1) Everyone who hunts turkey in B.C. with legal equipment is eligible for entry into this contest including shotgun and archery equipment.

2) The contest will run April 15 – May 15. Pictures must be posted by 9:00 pm EST May 15 in order to count for points.

3) The team with the most points scored by its members will "win". The 1st place team will be awarded the coveted title of HBC Turkey Champs for the 2012 season.

4) The N W T F scoring system will be used for scoring. Link to scoring calculator at bottem of the page.

5) It is your responsibility to post your team # and name when checking in a bird.

6) Teams will be randomly assigned with 5 or10 members on each team depending on the amount of people signed up. Please sign up only if you really think you will turkey hunt in the spring of 2012. You have to enter a bird to be eligible for the draw (IF THERE ARE PRIZES DONATED). We will build teams of 5 or 10 people per team, using a computer program to randomly assign team members. Of course this works best if we get an even multiple of 10 people registered (10, 30, 40, 60, etc.). In the likely event we do not get an even multiple of 10 people (eg 17, 33, 52, 67, etc.), we will take the last several people who registered (by order of registration, beyond the last multiple of 10) and put them into the “last team”. The next several people to sign up on the official thread after “official registration” closes at 9:00 pm EST April 12 (assuming there are any who sign up late) will be placed into the “last team” in the order they sign up so that the “last team” can have a full roster of 5 or 10 hunters (this may not happen, in which case the “last team” will play shorthanded). These will be the only exceptions to the “official registration” deadline of 9:00 pm EST April 12 (we have to draw a line somewhere to make the administration of the contest manageable – this is not our full time job). If you miss the sign up for this year’s contest don’t worry – in less than a year you will be able to register for next year’s contest!

Again, we will not make substitutions for people who do not actively participate in their team (too much of an administrative headache) or later want to drop out, so be sure you are committed to participating in this before signing up. This is part of the luck of the draw.

7) A picture of your bird must be posted in the league play 2012 HBC Turkey Contest check station thread, under the contest thread that will be started after teams are chosen.

Rules may be edited if needed and all decisions by the moderation staff helping with this contest are final.

9) If any prizes are donated by the hunting community a list of the companies and individuals donating prizes will be posted and updated as necessary. If you check in a bird you will be eligible for a random drawing of the prizes.

10) We will start threads in league play for each of the team members to check in. I encourage all teams to pm their team members to get them involved and prepped for the contest.

11) After your team comes up with a name please have one member post the team name in the Turkey Team Name Selection Thread. We will edit the team thread title and put the name into the official score sheet.

12) The final and most important rule is that you must have fun and enjoy every moment in the turkey woods this season!

Good luck and good hunting!

How to Score Your Wild Turkey
    Before you begin to score your turkey, be sure to note that all measurements are taken in 1/16-inch increments and converted to decimal form.

Step 1:
    Weigh your bird in pounds and ounces and convert ounces to decimal form.

Step 2:
    Measure each spur. Spurs must be measured along the outside center, from the point at which the spur protrudes from the scaled leg skin to the tip of the spur. Add both spur measurements and multiply the combined length of the spurs by 10. This is the number of points you receive for the turkey’s spurs.

Step 3:
    Measure the beard length (a beard must be measured from the center point of the protrusion of the skin to the tip) and convert it to decimal form.
    Next, multiply the beard length figure by 2; this is the number of points you receive for the beard length. If you have an atypical bird (multiple beards), measure each beard, convert them to a decimal number, then add those figures together and multiply by two. This is the number of points you receive for your turkey’s beards.

Step 4:
    Add together the weight, the points for spurs and points for beard(s): This is the score you receive for your turkey.

You can calculate the score of your turkey with our scoring calculator.
    Score calculator link.
    http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html
    Although you may use the score calculator to figure out the final score of your bird, we ask that you post the weight and measurements of your bird with the picture.
    Any question post BCBrez
    Last edited by bcbrez; 02-14-2012 at 07:45 AM.
    ~ If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting. ~ Aristotle

2. Site Sponsor

next to a nice fishing hole on the Horsefly

Re: 2012 SPRING TURKEY CONTEST rules and sign up.

hey brez'

count me in, the bow and I will be making the journey south again. It was a great time last year getting to meet a few of my team mates and fellow HBC'ers
    Last edited by shallowH2O; 02-09-2012 at 10:36 AM.

This is where I will be posting all the prizes for this years contest as they come in.

I want to thank all the sponsors and anyone who donates a prize. It's great to see all the support from the community for this event.

Remember all of these generous prizes have come in from local businesses or from the members of the contest, so let's show our support for them.

I still have about half a dozen prize bundles from last year (remember if you don't give me your mailing address you don't get your prize).

Shaker at SIMILKAMEEN WILDLIFE STUDIO'S has said he'll donate two turkey tail fan mounts again this year, and a discount on full mount turkeys to anyone who joins the contest.
    Thank you Shaker.

300WSMImpact! has donated a hand crafted knife with sheath

ShallowH2O has donated an Ameristep- Outhouse Blind

Jay Mykietyn of Secret Creek Supplies has donated a Thermacell bug repellent unit with spare refills.

To visit Jay or to check out Secret Creek Supplies and Kennels go to http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/
    1151 Bear Creek Road Trail, BC V1R 4W2
    Phone: 250-368-5619
    Email: secretcreek@telus.net
    Thanks Jay.

Ken Leslie at P&R Archery Pro Shop & Sport has donated a Primos box cutter box turkey call.
    To visit Ken and see his 2012 line of bows and hunting accessories you can phone or go to;

P&R Archery Pro Shop & Sport
    5146 Pedro Ck Vallican
    250-226-7499

Grouse River Outfitters has donated a Primos Call and Decoy package + $50 Gift Certificate.
    Grouse River Outfitters is the Canadian choice for hunting, fishing, archery and camping gear as well as optics, from riflescopes to binoculars to spotting scopes ...
    To see everything they have to offer you can visit them at;
    http://www.grouseriver.com/?Click=5224

2B-2720 Hwy 97 N.
    Kelowna, BC V1X 4J7
    Canada
    Phone: (250) 717-1070

Toll-Free: 1-877-5-GROUSE
    (877-547-6873)

Big thanks to Hardcore Archery for donating some custom hats as prizes.
    22-2070 Harvey Ave, Kelowna, BC V1Y 8P8

(250) 861-5297 ()hardcorearchery.ca

Once again, thanks to those who have donated to the contest.
    Don't forget to show your support to those who support us.

So who's in for the 2012 Spring Turkey Contest?
    Last edited by bcbrez; 04-09-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    ~ If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting. ~ Aristotle

Count me in

Since I don't hunt spring bear anymore and you don't have a gopher contest, I will go chase turkeys with my shotty!!
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

It would be nice if the closing date was the day after the 15th, the 9pm eastern(6pm PST) posting deadline doesn't leave much time to post pictures if you don't get lucky until the closing day.
    Other then that it sound great.
    "It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six" author Jeff Cooper
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato

Firearm Legal Defence insured, Member of the CCFR

True enough. I will change it to the 16th of May, 9:00 am, if that makes it easier for everyone.

That's four of us so far, good to see people joining up already.

BCBrez
    shallowH2O
    rocksteady
    igojuone

Let's get at least 30 people this year guys.
    Last edited by bcbrez; 02-09-2012 at 03:10 PM.

I'm in again. Long Beards 'N' Limb Hangers are back to defend the title!
    What you do for yourself dies with you. What you do for others lives long after you're gone.

T.R.

SHAKER is offline Hound dawger reborn......

I'm in guys!
    The thread stopper!

I would like to play..
    Somebody call a doctor!!! It's been longer than 4 hours!!

Would anyone like to take a newbie onto their team? I have never been turkey hunting but I am willing and able to put the time in if someone is willing to show me the ropes and put me under their wing so to say. If not I'm going to do my best to get my first ever turkey.
    Thanks

GOO
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem