Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please teach me about recurve bows.

please teach me about recurve bows.

no cams or moving parts is very appealing to me. but, i expect there might be some limitations to recurve bows.

need to know.

thanks
    SS
    *30-06 180g h4350*

2. Site Sponsor

Re: please teach me about recurve bows.

Hey SS , Drop in to the TBBC Championships in Rock Creek long weekend in May . ALL types of Trad bows and a chance to go around with one of the squads . Bow venders will be on site and a chance to shoot various bows . . Everything you need to know in one weekend .
    Cheers
    Last edited by greybark; 02-09-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

ya they take a lot of time to become good.. you cant shoot as accurate at longer ranges than a compound. most traditional guys only shoot at animals out to 30 yards and some wont even shoot that, some shoot further. i have spent some time (not a lot) with a recurve and could group ok out to 30, but i have a lot of experience with a compound. i think if i just used the recurve and prepared myself to hunt with it i would be comfortable at 30 yards on an animal.

If I had my druthers I would be hunting with traditional tackle. Where in the problem lies, for me, is that traditional equipment requires the art of instinctive shooting and to be a competent instinctive shooter there is a commitment to constant practice. I had a recurve for a year, practiced quite a bit, used it in the 3D shoots and at the end of that year flung 30 arrows at a MacKenzie target of a deer set at 20 yards. Only 10 of the arrows were good kill shots so I sold the recurve and went back to my compound. The bottom line was I was not prepared to make the commitment to the practice required to be a proficient instinctive shooter with traditional tackle. At the 3D shoots I look on with total envy at the traditional shooters who are proficient with their equipment.

thank you very much guys, for the posts!

the plan.
    just purchased a Excalibur phoenix x-bow for bow season hunting; ..... so i'm now thinking that recurve bow could be used for doe mulie if i win a LEH. of course i will not hunt with a recurve bow until i'm confident of a clean kill.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    If I had my druthers I would be hunting with traditional tackle. Where in the problem lies, for me, is that traditional equipment requires the art of instinctive shooting and to be a competent instinctive shooter there is a commitment to constant practice. I had a recurve for a year, practiced quite a bit, used it in the 3D shoots and at the end of that year flung 30 arrows at a MacKenzie target of a deer set at 20 yards. Only 10 of the arrows were good kill shots so I sold the recurve and went back to my compound. The bottom line was I was not prepared to make the commitment to the practice required to be a proficient instinctive shooter with traditional tackle. At the 3D shoots I look on with total envy at the traditional shooters who are proficient with their equipment.
    Hey Walksalot , your post and opinion is a valued and honest one and I respect the common sence path you have chosen . Sometimes I recommend that new Compound archers that wish to convert to Traditional to go ahead and buy that trad bow but continue to hunt and 3-d with their modern bows until they feel competent and comfortable with their archery gear .
    Like you but in the oposite direction I totaly admire in the amazing skills of many Compound archers .
    Howard once again I am most impressed with your post .
    Cheers
    Last edited by greybark; 02-10-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Quote Originally Posted by SimilkameenSlayer View Post
    thank you very much guys, for the posts!

the plan.
    just purchased a Excalibur phoenix x-bow for bow season hunting; ..... so i'm now thinking that recurve bow could be used for doe mulie if i win a LEH. of course i will not hunt with a recurve bow until i'm confident of a clean kill.
    Just keep in mind that because you have a x-bow does not mean you don't have to practice alot with it also. Just when you think you are good with it take it to some 3D shoots and see how competent you are with it at unknown distances. It is a little humbling when you are amoungst traditional shooters at a 3D shoot and they kick your butt.

Just keep in mind that because you have a x-bow does not mean you don't have to practice alot with it also. Just when you think you are good with it take it to some 3D shoots and see how competent you are with it at unknown distances. It is a little humbling when you are amoungst traditional shooters at a 3D shoot and they kick your butt.
    of course, i would not hunt until i'm confident and able to take a clean shot at the vitals.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

My last 2 3D shoots I turned-on a score with my trad gear that would have put me mid-pack with the BHFS guys. Not shooting from the same stakes, but pretty close all the same. I'd like to shoot "up" one day with my recurve, but I'm not sure it'll ever happen.

-Grant

Hey Grant , Are you planning to attend the TBBC Championships the May long weekend in Rock Ck ? It would be great to have you and some of your peers there .
    Free Pig Roast and quality Door and Raffle prises .
    The RC Club has one of the finest Club , Course layout and Camping in the Province .
    The BCCA Chs several years ago was one of the finest 3-D events I took part in .
    Cheers

Group Memberships.

BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC