Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yukon Hunters: Opinions on New Reugulations in GMZ 7

Re: Yukon Hunters: Opinions on New Reugulations in GMZ 7

[QUOTE=trigger;1085948]
    I think there should be more quad restrictions..... where quads have pushed through to is absolutely disgusting.

couldn't agree more with that statement.
    I have no fear... angels follow me wherever I go.
    Big & Rich

I believe the outfitters are on a self imposed quota in the Yukon. They take a recommended number of rams out of their area per year (I don't know how they come up with that number). Its in their best interest to limit harvest and preserve trophy quality and herd health long term.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I still find it hard to believe that there would be no quotas for sheep. Seems like too much temptation to allow as much harvest of the most profitable animal. If this is the case then yes something needs to be done.

I will email or call someone and follow up here later this week.

Alpine addict. Your PM box is full. Pm me your email.
    Absolutely its too much temptation.
    Look at the harvest numbers for Bonnet Plume as compared to Widrig. Pretty much double.
    What year was it that Ruby Range took 30 sheep? Ryan Leef was managing it at the time.
    How much interest would there be to form a new org., say Yukon Resident Hunters Association?
    More and more outfitters are now using ATVs, and there needs to be regs put into place before this practice becomes too well established to reverse.
    As far as GM 2 being remote, well, it is, for now, but the point is that with no idea whether the present harvest is sustainable or not, it might be too late down the road if and when it becomes more accessible , or if someone starts running Cubs on tundra tires.
    Same deal with GMZ 5. Its been hammered hard over the years by Ruby Range and Mervyn. I spent 5 days there last season, August 2nd on, and saw one legal ram. With GMZ 7 getting more restricted, 5 is going to be the next easiest access zone. This has to be addressed now.
    Now to say I am anti outfitting is wrong. I was born here, and grew up with Kosers, Jensens, Widrigs, Dicksons, Goodwins. You get the picture. What I am against is guys like Shockey and their ilk hammering OUR resource with no thought for sustainablity.
    If we want to ensure our opportunities, now and in the future, we are going to have to organize and be heard.
    The Alaskans have the Alaskan Backcountry Hunters Org http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/ maybe we need something similar.
    Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this.
    Last edited by Yukon280; 02-13-2012 at 05:36 PM.

"I hate rude behavior in a man...won't tolerate it"

Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by bruin View Post
    I believe the outfitters are on a self imposed quota in the Yukon. They take a recommended number of rams out of their area per year (I don't know how they come up with that number). Its in their best interest to limit harvest and preserve trophy quality and herd health long term.
    The good outfitters do manage their areas well, but the others, not so much.
    You would think it would be in their best interest, but they are hunting them hard, and making it pay.
    And as I said before, no quotas, legislated, recomended or otherwise. Nada. Zip.
    They used to be, but not for a while now.
    BC has quotas, and you hunters have a strong voice, but not here.

"I hate rude behavior in a man...won't tolerate it"

Woodrow Call

a little necro posting but seems some extra info was needed.

so far and after all those years there is still no quotas for sheep hunting in Yukon except that area 17.

as you can see the first year of operation did not end well ...

http://www.whitehorsestar.com/News/outfitter-fined-for-unauthorized-hunting

Outfitters need hard sheep quotas, not just a number they feel happy with. Ex outfiters have been runningbYukon for decades. The resident wont get anything from any politician i know.
    The ATV arms race needs to end with aces control. We have hone from quads to sideby side to 6x6 to npow needing an argo to stay in moose meat. Could use way more aircraft spotting control too.

If the legal harvest of rams is actually causing issues with the population, why isn't there a change to a more restrictive horn curl regulation to try and raise the average harvest age?
    Or is all this just about the social issues of RH vs non-RH harvest ?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole