Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deer Roast recipies ?

Re: Deer Roast recipies ?

I am puttin one in the smoker this afternoon. I will put crushed garlic, a bit of bacon grease and bbq sauce on it. Cant wait.

Arrow Re: Deer Roast recipies ?

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Good cuts of roasts like rib and sirloin etc dont belong in a slow cooker but the chucks, shoulders etc are great done in them.
    In my case, chucks, shoulders and the like have a date with a little piggy, a few spices, and hog casings!

TH and the others touched on the most important thing: Think RARE! Once you have your mind wrapped around that one, the sky is very much the limit!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    In my case, chucks, shoulders and the like have a date with a little piggy, a few spices, and hog casings!

TH and the others touched on the most important thing: Think RARE! Once you have your mind wrapped around that one, the sky is very much the limit!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    And some of mine does also, love italians and brats and garlic sausage!
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

try using roasting bags, they hold in the flavour and the meat stays tender, never dries out

To add to the slow cooker and onion soup thing,,,, add a cup or so of red wine...... mmmmmm er ist

But if its a good roast, one that you expect to de tender...... Thaw fully
    Stuff it with garlic by stabbing holes in it and put a thin slice of garlic in the hole,,,, all over.
    Rubb it with rosemarry, and corse salt. Stick it in a Zip lock and leave it over night.

Slice some onions and place it on the bottom of the pan place the roast on top of the slices.
    roll up bacon slices into a roll and stick them with a tooth pick and stick 2-3 of them on top of the roast for an "auto baster"

This is where it gets trickey,,,,,,
    cook the roast untill you think you are 30-40 min from done.
    mix in a bowl. 2 cups flour,2 cups milk, 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons salt.
    pour a 1/8 cup oil into bottom of the pan.
    crank oven to 450. let it get to temprature.
    stick roast on rack in pan raising the roast 3-4" from bottom of pan.
    when temp is up stick roast in oven untill you can hear the oil spiting.
    pour in mix. Close door and turn on potatoes to boil for mashed potatoes.....
    Do not peek, when potatoes are done pull out roast.

Timing is key to not over cook roast,,, med- rare to med is best.

roast and yourkies,,,, and not them stupid puffie ones either,,,,,, this is the real deal...

I've tried ALOT of different deer roast recipes and this is one I always come back to. Very easy with maybe 15-20 minute prep time needed. Make sure meat is thawed. I made it again on the weekend with a moose roast. WOW! Make it for someone who has never tried game before or has never had
    "properly " prepared game before. If they don't like kick'em out, they are idiots!

1 - 3-3.5 pound deer(or moose) roast
    1 - large onion, sliced
    1 - Tbsp soy sauce (low sodium)
    1 - Tbsp worcestershire sauce
    1 - Tbsp minced garlic
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
    1 (10.75 ounces or small) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    2 potatoes (cubed)
    2 carrots
    2 celery stalks
    1 1/2 cups water
    red wine (optional)

1. Put meat in slow cooker and cover with onion. Add water. Sprinkle with soy sauce,worcestershire sauce, garlic and pepper.
    2. In a bowl combine soup mix and soup: mix together and pour over roast. Add veggies. Cook on low setting of crock pot for 6 hours

We are trying this recipe tonight, looking forward to it. I'll let you know what we think.

Most of the time I use the slow cooker.
    1 cup water
    roast
    montreal steak spice - sprinkle on top or rub depending on how much of the flavor you want
    6 hours on low
    about the 4 hour mark throw in diced carrots potatoes/yams

If cooking in the oven I like to sear in the frying pan first, this keeps the moisture in
    hunting is an excuse to get outside and fill the freezer

I prefer an actual roast over pot roast. Start with a good cut in a hot oven, don't over cook it, let it rest = yum. A "Look bag" is a good idea.
    Like tomahwak says, a crappy cut should go in a slow cooker if that's what you like. Cook the shit out of anything and it will be tender.

Rub outside of roast with chopped garlic and olive oil, spice up with Italiano spice, dried rosemary, garlic salt, and crushed chilli peppers and brown in oil on stove top at high heat. Place on rack in a roaster with water in the bottom and cook in oven at about 375 until 140 degrees... remove from oven and rest covered with tinfoil. make gravy with the dripping and serve with mashed potatoes and what ever veggy you like. Its really hard to beat the natural flavour of a well looked after deer roast.
    A smoked deer roast is also great!