Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer Roast recipies ?

Re: Deer Roast recipies ?

Quote Originally Posted by steelballs View Post
    whats your ideas on cooking a nice deer roast any different than a beef roast?
    To your question, NO their is no difference to cooking deer to a beef roast. If you like your beef tender and juicy at med rare cook the deer the same. From that info you then can add your favourite rubs, marinades, spices, soup packages or whatever. Good cuts of roasts like rib and sirloin etc dont belong in a slow cooker but the chucks, shoulders etc are great done in them.
    Last edited by tomahawk; 02-04-2012 at 06:26 AM.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

I cook at a far higher temp and far faster.Ie 450+ and only 13-15 minutes. Coarse ground black pepper, course sea salt(lots of both). 1/4 tbs /lb Of meat. More if you want it spicier. I like to make yam fries or smashed yams and sauté some beet greens with onion, bacon/procuto and apple cider vinigar.

Oh yeah. And lots of butter.

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater moose View Post
    x2 on the onion soup mix, but insert 4-5 garlic cloves into the roast. yum-yum
    yes thats what i do too and it taste great all the time.

I blast em on the bbq medium rare, let them rest with some extra virgin olive oil, diced garlic and dried rosemary. Slice really thin and stir in the olive oil. Pretty tasty.

slow cooker for 6-8hrs on low with some garlic. if its on the bbq i wrap it completley with bacon and roatiserie untill medium rare.

the bbq roatiserie sounds good and slow cooked in onion soup has to be tried thanks to all what about slow smoking like pork shoulder?

thanks tom

Bow Walker Guest

I agree with Tomahawk. Deer, Elk, Moose..........any of those should be treated like a beef roast......and, never, never cook them past medium rare!

The one thing I always do with a venison roast that's different from cooking a beef roast is I add a couple cups of water in the bottom of the roaster before I put the roaster pan in the oven. It helps keep the roast from drying out. Besides that usually rub with crushed garlic and fresh ground black pepper after searing the roast in olive oil.

I've managed to convert some rather adamant anti-wild meat eaters with those roasts.
    ~ Every journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. ~

Butcher my own game, sometimes will put garlic in the roasts(rolled and tied) Always start with roast mostly frozen, sprinkle on seasoning salt. Don't use to much spice I like the taste of the meat. I use (don't laugh) the Ron Popeil set it and forget it rotisserie oven. Always cook rare the way I like it, plus leftovers sliced on the meat slicer for sandwiches or venison dip.
    Courage is being scared to death
    But saddling up anyway.