Thread: Fox Hunting

Fox Hunting

"Pardon us. Have you seen a fox go by perhaps?"

While field training today a pack of foxhounds and riders went by on their hunt.

TALLY-HO!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fox Hunting

do they drag hunt ? or are they hunting coyotes ?
    I had spent many nights in the jungle looking for game,but this was the first time I had ever spent the night looking for a man eater.
    THE CHAMPAWAT MANEATER
    JIM CORBETT

I'm not sure of the lingo here....but there is a horse rider about an hour ahead of the pack. They have a gallon of fox urine with them in a container of some sort. As they ride over the fields urine is leaked out of the container by a hose from behind the horse. That's what the dogs track at FULL speed.

We were on a dirt road when the picture was taken and they have the dogs under control because of the road. A few of the dogs took off in front and a rider came thundering down the road to get them back. Once they got to the end of the road the dogs took off again.

We were told that the "hunt" took 1 1/2 hours.

So what do they dogs even do run run the fox to the ground? cause they cant tree the thing

Just found this http://www.fraservalleyhunt.com/

They say it's not about running the fox to ground...it's about watching the dogs work, riding and the camaraderie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    I'm not sure of the lingo here....but there is a horse rider about an hour ahead of the pack. They have a gallon of fox urine with them in a container of some sort. As they ride over the fields urine is leaked out of the container by a hose from behind the horse. That's what the dogs track at FULL speed.

We were on a dirt road when the picture was taken and they have the dogs under control because of the road. A few of the dogs took off in front and a rider came thundering down the road to get them back. Once they got to the end of the road the dogs took off again.

We were told that the "hunt" took 1 1/2 hours.
    Thanks !
    thats a form of drag hunting ! you can use a scent soaked material behind a horse also !
    thanks for posting !
    I had spent many nights in the jungle looking for game,but this was the first time I had ever spent the night looking for a man eater.
    THE CHAMPAWAT MANEATER
    JIM CORBETT

I used to shoe for a gal who was a fox hinter in Langley back in the day, all hunts were drag hunts back then at least and I'm sure it hasnt changed, even the hunts in England have gone to all bait drag hunts. Prety much its like a steeplechase with dogs from what I know.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

even the hunts in England have gone to all bait drag hunts. Prety much its like a steeplechase with dogs from what I know.[/QUOTE]

actually theres more full on fox hunts, now than before the ban in england .and they do kill the foxes !
    the law was never enforced ! all fox hunting was, and is done on private land over there .and the land owners refused entry to the police.so it was an unenforcable stupid law.
    the current conservative government is soon to legalise it. RIGHTLY SO .
    THE CHAMPAWAT MANEATER
    JIM CORBETT

Quote Originally Posted by ROEBUCK View Post
    even the hunts in England have gone to all bait drag hunts. Prety much its like a steeplechase with dogs from what I know.
    actually theres more full on fox hunts, now than before the ban in england .and they do kill the foxes !
    the law was never enforced ! all fox hunting was, and is done on private land over there .and the land owners refused entry to the police.so it was an unenforcable stupid law.
    the current conservative government is soon to legalise it. RIGHTLY SO .[/QUOTE]

I have never fox hunted, or at least fox hunted in the style discussed here, I also have never been to England, so I am just gouing from what I have been told and read. I stand corrected.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by ROEBUCK View Post
    even the hunts in England have gone to all bait drag hunts. Prety much its like a steeplechase with dogs from what I know.

the current conservative government is soon to legalise it. RIGHTLY SO .

Good to hear. Always thought that was an awful abandonment of tradition.

Nice to see that there is some form of it in Western Canada. I wish we had something similar in Alberta.