Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Campfire Grouse Recipe?

Re: Good Campfire Grouse Recipe?

i think it is almost impossible to cook bad grouse.
    Man they are good mmmmmmmm.

pound roll in egg and crunched ritz crackers fry mmmmmmmmmmmmmmenjoy
    I'm a lead foot, whiskey drinkin' outlaw.

I have found that grouse is tough and dry. The only way I have found that I can enjoy it is to stew it slow in a can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup with a little white or red wine, and with a few onions, carrots, and some thyme, garlic and a touch of basel.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnester View Post
    I have found that grouse is tough and dry. The only way I have found that I can enjoy it is to stew it slow in a can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup with a little white or red wine, and with a few onions, carrots, and some thyme, garlic and a touch of basel.
    Then you really don't know what you're doing. Read some of the recipes here
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

put in fry pan add half can beer cook 10-15 min add salt and pepper you got a great simple tail gate lunch !
    mission

Best campfire grouse ever!

1)Get a good sized fire going & let if burn down.
    2)Breast out several birds
    3)Pound out breasts into cutlets-place breasts between several layers of plastic wrap and the backside of an axe works great(who packs a meat mallet into the bush?)
    4)Dice up a few slices of bacon and fry. Add finely choped onion, carrot and celery(if you have) Once tender, add some bread crumbs or cubed bread until you get a nice stuffing texture. Continue cooking until nicely browned.
    5) Put a nice layer of stuffing onto each cutlet. Roll up the culets and wrap each one with half a slice of bacon. Secure with a toothpick-make them if you don't pack toothpicks.
    6) Place on grate directly over a bed of coals-not too hot. I make a seperate pit away from the fire and add coals as needed with a shovel. Cook until bacon is crisp & cooked through.
    7)Eat quick if you want seconds!

Goes great with corn and potatos. Seems like allot of effort, but trust me, it's sooo worth it!

Cube a few birds, chop bacon and an onion, cook in fry pan while tortellini boils, drain tortellini, dump in grouse, bacon and onion and mix in a jar of four cheese alfredo sauce. Tasty, quick and filling meal for a few guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sugar View Post
    My grandpa tells of taking whole grouse with feathers on, rolling it thick clay/mud and putting it right on some coals to cook/ steam......

sounds kind of different to me...
    I've done this with my dad when I was younger, it works! We found a clay bank and some water and mixed it up until it's kinda runny, but still fairly thick, and coat the entire bird. (you want the clay to 'soak' into/around the feathers) Sit by the fire just long enough to partially dry the clay, then thicken up the slurry with some more clay until it's almost like a paste and apply a nice thick coat. Bury in coals like a baked potato and enjoy a few liquid appetizers for about 45min. Dig the bird out and if your clay mix was right, when you crack it open all the feathers will come off stuck in the clay! Makes for a moist and juicy bird! Salt/pepper/hot sauce (I put that sh*t on everything! ) to taste.

I haven't done this for about 25yrs, but I think I just might have to make a special chicken trip just to do it again.

80 percent of the time i make grouse i cook it in my pasta sauce for a while it comes out amazingly tender and tastes awesome i just chop it up into sections and cook the birds in the sauce olive oil garlic onions salt pepper little oregano and it makes for a nice spaghetti dish

I bought a dutch oven just for baking grouse on a base of veggies and potatoes with a strip of bacon on top. Add a bit of water to keep moist. It's heavy kit but it stays with the truck obviously. Like chicken but with so much more flavour! If it's dry and/or tough you over cooked it, sorry.
    --gone Squirrely.. respect, pretty simple concept really.