Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy food

Re: Puppy food

Our Vet said to feed him Iams and nothing else. She's tired of seeing overweight and unheathly dogs.

I worked in the pet industry for 12 years. Iams used to be good until they stopped selling exclusively to pet stores. The first ingredient use to be chicken meal (basically chicken with the water removed), now it's "chicken" which means it was weighed wet (up to 70% of it is water).

I'd also recommend Nutro first, Technical used to be decent as well. My wife worked for a vet who figures a dog's diet can consist of almost anything and that spending your hard earned money on a quality food is a waste. Most of the Science Diet foods available through a vet office has corn meal as the first ingredient - so go figure!

The 'Hummer' Guest

The breeder I got my Yellow Lab pup from in Duncan used IAMS large breed puppy food so thats what I've kept up with 'till now. She's just turning 2 so I've started a change over to some 'Big Girl' dog food. IAMS Large Breed 1 yr +.

My dog refused to eat Iams and N.Max.......for some reason he loves Pedigree. I do however add all kinds of game meat to his diet a few times a month as well as game bones I have Bbqed and froze.

The 'Hummer' Guest

I forgot to add, my Lab was a little fussy eating IAMS, until my sister came up with pouring hot water on it & then draining it off. Now, pardon the expression, she wolfs it down. I've also started adding glucosamine.

http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1

http://www.iei.net/~ebreeden/kibble.html

Both those sites have some great info on how to pick out a kibble. I have 5 Malamutes here and at the moment 3 eat Solid Gold Wolf King, 2 Wellness (1 the whitefish and 1 the venison due to allergies).

With higher priced kibble I find my dogs contribute less waste to my yard than cheap kibble full of fillers they simply extract I also feel better knowing they are eating completely human grade food free of things that could cause problems in the long term. Good luck with the new pup!

Acutr1m or somesuch - sold at wal-mart. My wife did a bunch of research, and came up with it as the best 'budget brand' she could find. Though, that's just a base feed - unless we have a terrible year hunting, our dogs get almost as much deer and elk meat throughout the year as we do.
    "...the truth will make you free." John 8:32

If you guys are truly interested in feeding quality food to your dogs do the research and pay attention to the additives they put in this stuff.

Beverly has a ton of experience and really knows her S#%t when it comes to dog care. I have learned a great deal about commercial dog food from her and it can be a pretty ugly subject.

Most of the popular foods are really junk or at least contain stuff that few people would consider feeding any pet if they really knew what it was. I have seen the light and will no longer feed any animal of mine anything but human grade food.

Chears
    Rod
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

Bow Walker Guest

Our Vet has stated that "if it is advertised - then avoid it!" We pay a bit more for Inova, but it is worth it if you read the ingredients.

There are more brands of premium food for your pets "out there", but ours loves the Inova so that is good enough for us.

A good quality dog food is worth it's cost. I had a 130lb Alaskan Malamute and the difference between crap and good was in the difference of Sh*t you had to pick up behind him.

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!