Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Traditional Bow guys chime in please

Re: Traditional Bow guys chime in please

actually i'm 6'5" tall 225#.

thanks for the heads up.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

You are going to want something longer and even lighter then. Not shorter then 68" and no heavier the 25#.
    I'd look at a Hoyt Excel 23" riser and a set of cheap long 25# limbs. Should be able to throw that together for less than the gamemaster.

-Grant

You can find samick bows at Gitrdone archery in calgary. Dennis will help you out . The samick stingray i bought is 40 lbs at 28" and i draw it to 32 " with no stacking. Its only a 58" bow which normally is too short for a long arm but this bow is smooth ,fast and accurate. 200 fps with 450gr arrows and its a 250 dollar bow !

Grantmac- How many lbs is your bow and what weight arrows are you shootig?

SimSlayer...if your the size you say do NOT buy 25 or 30 pound limbs....unless you are very weak...as most have said the Chekmate...made in BC is a great bow and locally made to boot...I know a guy that sells them...Windfeather Archery Traditions..Cranbrook

Grantmac is right about taking the weght factor out of the shooting equaton but only to a degree . Upon release the string goes around the finger tips at the same time as pushing them away . Too little string pressure moves the fingers less and creates excessive curveing of the arrow (archers paradox) . Kids using compounds with fingers get terrible flight. On the other hand good pressure will force the fingers to move more and reduce that wobbling arrow .
    SimSlayer if you are shooting fixed distances than the light bow weight is recommended . However if you intend to 3-D and hunt than I suggest you try several bow weights . Hopefully you can manage at least 40 lb (legal hunting weight) that would be great . Then get the form and practice thingy going and your away . Most active average sized males can start out around 45-50 lb .
    Start out with a second hand bow as you will muscle up and may wish to go up slightly with a stronger bow .
    I know of a Chek-Mate Crusader longbow and a TD Hunter 3 that will be at Rock CK , very good condition for $390 each with Cocobolo Riser and Yew , Cocobolo and Waterfall Babinga . Show and try them out . WindFeather Archery Traditions and othe Bowyers will be on site .
    Cheers
    Last edited by greybark; 02-11-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Grantmac- How many lbs is your bow and what weight arrows are you shootig?
    Thats a complex question. I've got everything from 30# limbs for my indoor set-up, 36# for 3D and up to a 65# selfbow that I shoot sometimes. Arrow weight is similarly all over the place. Indoor arrows are sitting around 620gr and 3D arrows currently at 340gr, but I've been down to 245gr for 3D in the past.

I maintain that learning to shoot with a bow which is no more then 30# at your draw length will result in a better archer, for someone 6'5" thats going to be a set of 25# limbs. It took me years of fooling around with heavier bows before I got seriout and dropped weight. The Olympic training programs have had this figured out for years.
    Shooting a lighter bow will train your release to be much more fluid and dynamic, a heavy bow sort of cheats it for you as Greybark pointed out. That is why freestyle archers have a set of 20# limbs that they use for form and release training.
    Far better to be able to make 150-200 excellent shots without fatigue rather than feeling strain after a few dozen. You can "work into" a higher weight once you've got your form and technique perfect, but doing it while learning is a recipe for never reaching your potential.

-Grant

I picked up a Genesis and have it set around 20Lb for practice... I also have a string bow for practicing my release.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I picked up a Genesis and have it set around 20Lb for practice... I also have a string bow for practicing my release.
    I fiddle with my Club's Genesis all the time. If you can get a decent release shooting one of those then you are onto something. I'm also picking up a long ATA Hoyt Protech to shoot in NFAA Barebow for field and to do some cross-training.

-Grant

P.S. The Genesis stringwalks really nicely.