Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional Bow guys chime in please

Re: Traditional Bow guys chime in please

I've started with a Martin Jaguar take-down.

Good "cheap 'n' nasty bow.
    "Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."

- Hunter S. Thompson

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
    In the past sure, but I highly doubt you will see any of their bows compete on a National level successfully these days. Kind of like Black Widow, they haven't exactly kept-up with technology and instead have rested on past success. You have to look at whats being used to win in the big shoots down south. IBO Recurve Unaided and NFAA Trad class is being dominated by Bernardini, Best and Spigarelli risers. I've got a couple (Bernardini and Spigarelli) and there is no comparison. I compete across the border in Washington and I have seen every Trad shoot (indoor, field and 3D) absolutely dominated by modern equipment.
    I believe the FITA World 3D Instinctive class was just won by a Canadian shooting a Tradtech riser, seems odd that he wouldn't take a Canadian built bow if it was a winning design?

Not saying that CM build a bad bow, but they are nowhere near what you can get for the same money elsewhere.

-Grant
    The BC and Cdn Championships I posted about all Longbows shot wood arrows and had nothing on the bow . It was pretty well the same for recurve . Recurves then went with any type of arrow , cushion plungers and adjustable centershot metal risers took over. Only Longbows have a level playing field .
    Grant you are talking about a completly different class of bow . Basicly not Trad but unsighted.
    On the Tradgang site one old timer posted the six best Trad Bowyers he knew of . Yes Marc Moritz was one of them !!!!!!!
    Last edited by greybark; 02-03-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Grant... just looked up the Bernardini and Spigarelli risers... they are cool looking rigs... not sure they would be considered "traditional" though. If I'm wrong school me.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

"Traditional" is a touchy word in the world of "Traditional" gear hehe.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Smile Re: Traditional Bow guys chime in please

Grant. Alot of us on the Island haven't seen any of these "new" stickbows. Pick one up and come over to the Island for a shoot and show us how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Grant. Alot of us on the Island haven't seen any of these "new" stickbows. Pick one up and come over to the Island for a shoot and show us how they work.
    I did! Last year I took second in the Hell-hole with my old riser shooting under the wrong rules (long story), I look forward to hitting as many Island shoots as possible this year with my Bernardini. I've had a successful time down in WA, just won the State Indoor Vegas championship in adult male traditional class and I will be taking part in the State NFAA 300 indoor in early march. Won the last 2 3Ds I entered and I think I've got an even chance of placing in the State 3D.
    If I can get the time and money together for it I intend on shooting the Canadian outdoor championship here in Victoria this summer, arrows get expensive for that though.

As far as I'm concerned if it fits inside the rules of whatever competition that you choose to enter then go for it. For me that means RU/Barebow under FCA rules (which are my favourite) and Traditional for NFAA (all I've got down south). I prefer to say that I shoot barebow recurve, then I don't get hauled into any debates about whether something is Trad or not.
    Only one company builds a wood bow which can compete with the ILF Barebow risers, and they will cost you a very pretty penny (Border). Fortunately you can put together a world level rig for about $600 if you know where to shop and don't mind metal risers.

-Grant

What is it about the risers that account for the increased accuracy? design or the materials? Do you think you oils shoot as well with a traditional "trad" bow. Now I want to try one! Ha

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    What is it about the risers that account for the increased accuracy? design or the materials? Do you think you oils shoot as well with a traditional "trad" bow. Now I want to try one! Ha
    Weight, balance and geometry; they are very stable and forgiving. I know that the bow is worth +20pts on an 18m FITA over something more old-school.
    I'll be local with my bow most of March and April, I'd be happy for you to take a spin. Word of warning though: very difficult to put down.

-Grant

Cool - I will be up that way a couple times in the coming weeks... are you a member at Cowichan Bowmen?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantmac View Post
    Weight, balance and geometry; they are very stable and forgiving. I know that the bow is worth +20pts on an 18m FITA over something more old-school.
    I'll be local with my bow most of March and April, I'd be happy for you to take a spin. Word of warning though: very difficult to put down.

-Grant
    Grant can you post a pic ?