Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional Bow guys chime in please

Traditional Bow guys chime in please

.............is there a specific trad bow style that one should lean towards ? , a specific brand to stay away from ? refer some custom bowmakers ? I'll assume that fit and feel is important just like in compound bows but I want to weed out the junk from the get go and look at something decent to try

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Traditional Bow guys chime in please

Assuming you are talking recurves - longer bows ( 62 - 66" ) are easier to shoot as they have less finger pinch , more forgiving of errors. Start out with a lightweight bow 30-35lbs at your draw length is right. I would get a Samick Sage for my first recurve , decent bow , good reputation . http://www.tradtecharchery.com/samic...curve-bow.html

Quote Originally Posted by Monashee View Post
    Assuming you are talking recurves - longer bows ( 62 - 66" ) are easier to shoot as they have less finger pinch , more forgiving of errors. Start out with a lightweight bow 30-35lbs at your draw length is right. I would get a Samick Sage for my first recurve , decent bow , good reputation . http://www.tradtecharchery.com/samic...curve-bow.html
    yes recurve thanx for the link Monashee

You simply can't go wrong with a Chek-Mate TakeDown Hunter 2. Made right here in BC (Port Alberni) Almost every tradbow hunter I know owns at least one of them and hunts with them. Get one 50 - 55lb. You can spend more but the gains beyond a TD2 start to cost a lot of extra money.

PM me and I'll try to hook you up.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

I am kinda new into bows also so cant help ya

I have shot lots of deer and one Elk with my Chekmate Hunter Takedown...it is over 15 years old and performs flawlessly when I do...even in -20 you can barely hear it being drawn with sealskin on the shelf and it shoots carbons, aluminum and wood...I like the wood shafts. The bowyer is awesome also.

Best thing about a take down is you can buy different sets of limbs. I;m sure you know but other readers may not know but theres not let off with recurves and long bows. Like suggested if you get a takedown get a set of 35-45lbs limbs and then get a set of limbs of 50-55lbs. You definately don't wanna over bow yourself when learning how to shoot traditional. Shooting a recurve is my favorite even though I don't have one right now just a compound. Lots of fun learning and shooting. Amazing how accurate you can get instinctively.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by TheProvider View Post
    Best thing about a take down is you can buy different sets of limbs. I;m sure you know but other readers may not know but theres not let off with recurves and long bows. Like suggested if you get a takedown get a set of 35-45lbs limbs and then get a set of limbs of 50-55lbs. You definately don't wanna over bow yourself when learning how to shoot traditional. Shooting a recurve is my favorite even though I don't have one right now just a compound. Lots of fun learning and shooting. Amazing how accurate you can get instinctively.
    good stuff ......thanx, ............... and Provider cool signature, so true.......................

Hey Provider , I suggest you start with a used Recurve . Chek-Mate is the Work Horse standard and appreciated around the world .
    The recurve has more shootability than a Longbow because of the Mass and weight of the riser . There is a lesser chance of stacking with a recurve and the availability of the Olympic style reflex riser make torqueing less of a negative facter . A later limb change option is good .
    The Chek-Mate TD Hunter 1 & 2 are one of the most shootable Bows on the market .
    I have a line on a great TD 2 , if interested give me a PM.
    Last edited by greybark; 01-28-2012 at 01:54 AM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Quote Originally Posted by greybark View Post
    Hey Provider , I suggest you start with a used Recurve . Chek-Mate is the Work Horse standard and appreciated around the world .
    The recurve has more shootability than a Longbow because of the Mass and weight of the riser . There is a lesser chance of stacking with a recurve and the availability of the Olympic style reflex riser make torqueing less of a negative facter . A later limb change option is good .
    The Chek-Mate TD Hunter 1 & 2 are one of the most shootable Bows on the market .
    I have a line on a great TD 2 , if interested give me a PM.
    Good input thanx Greybark