Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bow hunting near Langley

Re: Bow hunting near Langley

So whats the verdict??? Hunting in the Township of Langley, on private land (ALR), with a bow, while holding a BC Hunting License a FV Special license and a valid mule deer tag between Sept. 1 - Dec. 15.... legal or illegal?

Illegal. Municipal laws prevent shooting an arrow at a live target. Wish it wasn't so, but I emailed the head bylaw officer last year to confirm. I'll dig up the correspondence if I still have it.

Yup 100% bow is ilegal by a langley township bylaw. Hunting regulations say it is legal to hunt in langley but the bylaw for bows stops you from doing so.if a co catches you with a dead deer shot by a bow properly taged and shot with permission he is not going to give you a wildlife violation but will forward your name and all info to langley bylaw and you will be fined by them. you guys are on your own for the rest of the info....good luck. p.s quit blabbin on here about stuff like this do your proper research on places like this in the LM and you may get a trophy you dont want a bunch of guys bangin on doors wrecking it for you

Quote Originally Posted by Blk Arrow View Post
    Hunting in the Township of Langley is only permitted if protecting crops as per the bylaws. Bow hunting is not allowed as the bylaw (which I could not find in my files) basically reads you can only shot at a none living target. I have deer in my neighbourhood and they seem to know their safe.
    Plant some corn and carrots in your back yard sir and the first dear that tries to eat it whack him.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by Speratus View Post
    I will be phoning Monday, but my point is unless they can provide some proof, bylaw document stating that it is illegal, they do not have the ability to fine you. Someone in Charge of ByLaws isn't good enough (they might simply put forth an opinion), SHOW ME THE BYLAW stating no discharge of Bow or gun. From the ByLaws they have available, I don't see it.

As hunters we're expected to know and follow the rules & regs. Municipal, provincial & federal. They must be listed and easily accessible. If a by law doesn't exist within the municipality, and I follow all the provincial & federal laws,
    it is against the law for anyone to interfere with my ability to hunt.
    +1. Totally agree. Just because someone has a job and title does not mean they know what they are doing. Look into and dig deep. Keep all correspondence. Then you can go back and educate them if you find out they are wrong.

Funny story. Friend gets called at work. They want to confiscate his sister in laws cariboo and fine her. Friend takes day off work and drives out to CO office. Ask's whats the problem. CO says bull caribou does not have 5 points. Friend rips the CO a new one. LEH hunt was for a "bull caribou" not a "5 point bull caribou". Her bull did not need 5 points only a certain length on the main beam. Senior CO comes out of his office and nods in agreement with my friend. They get a sorry and leave with caribou. CO was young and new to the job and did not know.

CO and-or by law officer may be the same and just do not know, By law officer may be an anti-hunter as well (all the more reason to stick it to him). He also may not know that a bow is not a firearm. I can't belive you are not allowed to bow hunt on private lands in a rural-semi rural setting.

Permits are either available or they are not, but to be told "good luck getting one" is wrong for so many reasons.

A private land owner in langley does not require a crop protection permit within open hunting season. If people shoot ducks in langley fields with a shotgun for "crop protection" there is no reason you cant do the same with a deer

Good point Rut Buck. Hope it works out, I know when I fly into Van. Int. Airport I admire how much "green" area and fields, farm land etc. the greater Van. area has. Hope it can be utilized as a source of hunting for those not lucky enough to not live in the city.

Cheers 257Stew

Just hit it with your car... You can keep roadkill

this is funny, I talked to the co that lives in the township, he told me you may not discharge a bow in langley township because i directed that question at him. But what was very intresting was that he told me u are allowed to discharge a rifle ( his example was a 243) on private property for the purpose of recreational hunting or crop protection, he stated that their is no crown land in the township for those wondering about that avenue. He did warn me about being sure of your target and beyond, (no kidding). I asked him why no bows but he said he was working on it with council to allow it because the population of deer and predators has exploded and to many are being killed by cars... he also told me that icbc was also on board because of that fact alone. I wish i would of recorded his conversation because i still find it hard to believe... the rifle part. For all of those wishing to hunt the township i would contact this co... he is local.

I realize this is an old thread, but the bylaw prohibition use of all firearms, including bows, dates back much farther...1991 to be exact. It appears that the original firearm prohibition was amended to include bows, except at a stationary target designed for that purpose. It is pretty air tight. It's disappointing, but a fact. Here's what comes up on-line when you look up "bow hunting in township of langley, bc". I love to see it changed, but to my knowledge it still stands.

THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF LANGLEY DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS REGULATION BYLAW 1991 NO. 3001
    CONSOLIDATED FOR CONVENIENCE ONLY
    EXPLANATORY NOTE
    Bylaw No. 3001 prohibits the discharge of firearms within the Township of Langley except for the provisions involved in Section 4 being Peace Officers etc.; destruction of domestic livestock or slaughterhouse operations; protection of animals and crops; Shooting Clubs and the Fort Langley National Historic Park.

The Bylaw does not provide for any designated hunting permit areas.

Bylaw No. 3001 is the result of Council's resolution pursuant to Report No. 90-646 on December 10th to no longer designate hunting permit areas.
    Amending Bylaw No. 3380 provides for an amendment to the Discharge of Firearms Bylaw to prohibit the use of bows except as provided for in the bylaw. A person who uses a bow shall exercise care for the safety of other persons or property.

THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF LANGLEY

DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS REGULATION BYLAW 1991 NO. 3001

A bylaw to provide for the regulation of the discharge of firearms in the Municipality of Langley

CONSOLIDATED FOR CONVENIENCE ONLY As amended by Bylaw 3380 (94.11.7)
    WHEREAS Section 933 of the "Municipal Act" provides that the Council may, by bylaw applicable throughout the municipality or any defined area of it, regulate or prohibit, and that regulations may be different for different areas, the discharging of firearms, including air guns, air rifles, air pistols and spring guns;
    AND WHEREAS the Municipal Council of the Corporation of the Township of Langley deems it necessary to provide for the regulation of the discharge of firearms;
    NOW THEREFORE the Council of the Township of Langley in Open Meeting Assembled ENACTS AS FOLLOWS:

1. This bylaw may be cited as "Discharge of Firearms Regulation Bylaw 1991 No. 3001."
    2. For the purpose of this bylaw, a firearm includes a rifle, a pistol, a shotgun, an air gun, an air rifle, an air pistol and a spring gun.
    3. The discharge of firearms or the use of bows is prohibited throughout the municipality except as provided for in this bylaw. (Bylaw 3380)
    4. The discharge of firearms is not prohibited where:

1. a) a peace officer, member of a military unit, employee or contractor of the Municipality of Langley, employee of the Province of British Columbia, employee of the Dominion of Canada, or employee of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals discharges a firearm in the performance of duty;
      2. b) a person discharges a firearm in the humane destruction or slaughter of domestic livestock;
      3. c) a person who holds a valid trapping licence from the Province of British Columbia discharges a firearm in the humane destruction or slaughter of wildlife caught in his traps;
      4. d) a person discharges a firearm in the operation of a commercial slaughterhouse;

Bylaw No. 3001 Page 2

1. e) a person engaged in a normally accepted agricultural or horticultural business discharges a firearm for the purpose of protecting livestock or crops from birds or animals;
    2. f) a person who is a member or guest of a firearms shooting club discharges a firearm at a recognized range for the purpose of target practice;
    3. g) a person engaged in an activity involving firearms at the Fort Langley National Historic Park site discharges a firearm as part of that activity.

5. The use of a bow is not prohibited where: (Bylaw 3380)

a)

the use takes place:

1. i) at Camp McLean or Campbell Valley Regional Park and the person using the bow has received the prior written permission of Scouts Canada for Camp McLean or the Greater Vancouver Regional District for Campbell Valley Regional Park;
    2. ii) the use takes place on public land other than Camp McLean or Campbell Valley Regional Park and the person using the bow has received the prior written permission of the authority having jurisdiction over said public land and the bow is used to shoot an arrow or other projectile at a stationary target constructed for that purpose; or
    3. iii) on private land and the person using the bow has received the prior permission of the owner of said land and the bow is used to shoot an arrow or other projectile at a stationary target constructed for that purpose; and

the person using the bow exercises care for the safety of other persons or property.

6. Bylaw No. 2408 cited as "Discharge of Firearms Regulation Bylaw 1987 No. 2408" is hereby repealed.

READ A FIRST TIME the
    READ A SECOND TIME the
    READ A THIRD TIME the RECONSIDERED AND ADOPTED
    the
    “JOHN BEALES”

28th 28th 28th 11th
    Mayor

day of day of day of day of

January January January March

,1991. ,1991. ,1991. ,1991.
    Clerk

“ROD EDWARDS” Certified a True Copy: