Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bow hunting near Langley

Re: Bow hunting near Langley

Look at the Fraser Valley Special Area hunting brochure, it will show you where you are allowed to hunt, some of the agricultural land around Aldergrove is open to hunting during open seasons, the map shows it specifically. So this would be in and around the Langley area. But the trick will be finding land owners who will let you their land!

Just an update!

So Bill Storey (In charge of Township of Langley Bylaws) left me a message today. He's going to be emailing me a copy of the ByLaw re: Hunting/Firearms in Langley.

Will keep you guys posted as soon as I receive it.
    Cheers!
    D
    Spera in Deo

HERE IT IS GUYS: - NOTHING ABOUT BOWs

THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF LANGLEY
    DISCHARGEOF FIREARMS REGULATION BYLAW 1991 NO. 3001

EXPLANATORY MEMO

Bylaw No. 3001 prohibits the discharge of firearms within the Township of Langley except for
    the provisions involved in Section 4 being Peace Officers etc.; destruction of domestic
    livestock or slaughterhouse operations; protection of animals and crops; Shooting Clubs and
    the Fort Langley National Historic Park.

The Bylaw does not provide for any designated hunting permit areas.

Bylaw No. 3001 is the result of Councilís resolution pursuant to Report No. 90-646 on
    December 10th to no longer designate hunting permit areas.

THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF LANGLEY
    DISCHARGEOF FIREARMS REGULATION BYLAW 1991 NO. 3001

A bylaw to provide for the regulation of the
    discharge of firearms in the Municipality of Langley

WHEREAS Section 933of the "Municipal Act" provides that the Council may, by bylaw
    applicable throughout the municipality or any defined area of it, regulate or prohibit, and that
    regulations may be different for different areas, the discharging of firearms, including air guhs,
    air rifles, air pistols and spring guns;

AND WHEREAS the Municipal Council of the Corporation of the Township of Langley deems
    it necessary to provide for the regulation of the discharge of firearms;

NOW THEREFORE the Council of the Township of Langley in Open Meeting Assembled
    ENACTS AS FOLLOWS:

This bylaw may be cited as "Discharge of Firearms Regulation Bylaw 1991 No. 3001
    .I'

For the purpose of this bylaw, a firearm includes a rifle, a pistol, a shotgun, an air gun, an
    air rifle, an air pistol and a spring gun.
    The discharge of firearms is prohibited throughout the municipality except as provided for
    in this bylaw.
    The discharge of firearms is not prohibited where:
    a)
    a peace officer, member of a military unit, employee or contractor of the
    Municipality of Langley, employee of the Province of British Columbia, employee of
    the Dominion of Canada, or employee of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty
    to Animals discharges a firearm in the performance of duty;

b)
    a person discharges a firearm in the humane destruction or slaughter of domestic
    livestock;

c)
    a person who holds a valid trapping licence from the Province of British Columbia
    discharges a firearm in the humane destruction or slaughter of wildlife caught in his
    traps;

d)
    a person discharges a firearm in the operation of a commercial slaughterhouse;

e)
    a person engaged in a normally accepted agricultural or horticultural business
    discharges a firearm for the purpose of protecting livestock or crops from birds or
    animals;

Bylaw No. 3001
    Page 2

a person who is a member or guest of a firearms shooting club discharges a

firearm at a recognized range for the purpose of target practice;

g)
    a person engaged in an activity involving firearms at the Fort Langley National
    Historic Park site discharges a firearm as part of that activity.

5. Bylaw No. 2408 cited as "Discharge of Firearms Regulation Bylaw 1987 No. 2408" is
    hereby repealed.
    READ A FIRST TIME the
    READ A SECOND TIME the
    28th
    28th
    READ A THIRD TIME the 28th
    RECONSiDERED AND ADOPTED the 11th
    day of
    day of
    dayof
    day of
    January
    January
    January
    March
    , 1991.
    Spera in Deo

problem is, anywhere open to hunt is on private land. same as abby. abby has sumas though open to bows

Not a problem if you know a land owner. Check the Fraser Valley Special Area brochure, it shows a surprising amount of area open to hunting during open and regular seasons.

where..anything i see is private land not public, or anything public isnt within the distance regs to buildings or roads and map says no discharge towards shore. not sure of any water thats wide enough they wouldnt concider it shooting towards shore....im looking at the paper map of the area

The advantage of bow is you don't have to be a specific distance from buildings but it is mostly true that if you want to hunt in the LML and you don't have any friends with an acreage, your only recourse is to start knocking on doors. The advice I got and still have yet to act on is, don't dress in camo and stress the fact that you are a bow hunter. Some farmers may be more willing to let you in if you offer to start calling coyotes too.

Most of you are forgetting Langley has a township and city. If I am correct they are managed differently and thus different bylaws? The bylaw I read before stated no longbows crossbows and discharge at non moving targets only.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Id like to see the info sayin bows are exempt from hunting regs for distances from roads or other

My readin in the map has a note bows are same as gun there in a box in my map. Basicly banned to unless you get land permission