Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow hunting near Langley

Re: Bow hunting near Langley

I know there's folks that hunt geese in and around the cranberry bog up near Derby Reach park. It's under crop control as I recall. Not sure how they do it, but wish I could too!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Its a shame that hunting is so difficult here. I've heard what sounds like 3 shotgun blasts fired tonight and I'm near 28th and 197th so not in the agricultural area. The coyotes were really riled up tonight. The pack sounded like at least 10. So I'm sure someones frustrated at losing chickens or something. Not much he can legally do here, though. No excuse, but must be hard to continually lose livestock or poultry and know that theres isn't another predator around thats allowed to keep their numbers in check. And my neighbors shrubs are laughable. Theres so much food out here that the deer don't even bother to bend their necks anymore. Just graze the easy pickings and move on.

its actually not that hard for a farmer to get a crop control permit, ( i was on one once) the farmer needs to apply, and show that the geese and ducks are a problem and taking from his income,
    but as for deer, there is no hunting of deer in Langley, for a farmer to a permit for them is nearly impossible, i have never seen one and have gone to court for witnessing a person shoot a doe with a shotgun because he said the farmer gave him permission. This is not except able and as hunters we should know this. so if the farmer gives you permission, do not do it unless you see an authorization form from the government and your name must be on it.!!
    i Lived in Langley for about 12 years or so and i know of a lot of places to go and look at these huge Blacktails that will die of old age. but if you do your homework, there is two neighbouring city's that still allow bowhunting and are on the doorstep of Langley...
    i have pics of some great bucks i have taken from there.
    cheers....D
    Last edited by Ddog; 01-28-2012 at 01:02 PM.

The Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations (formerly MOE) somtimes issues deer permits to protect agricultural crops. The farmer with the problem needs to apply. Often times you do not get to keep the deer harvested - it goes to needy families or First Nations.

I went through the Township of Langley Bylaws thoroughly - other than a few mentions of noise control re: firearms... there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with regards to Bow Hunting. The description of Bow does not fall into the Category of Firearm.

I couldn't even find anything regarding Hunting in General as a bylaw. I've attached all that I've found below. Would someone please post the bylaw if they can find it that says ANYWHERE you are not allowed to Bow Hunt in Langley!

RECOMMENDATION(S):

That Council give first and second reading to the Township of Langley Discharge of Firearms Regulation Bylaw 1991 No. 3001 Amendment Bylaw 2005 No. 4427.

That Council refer the Township of Langley Discharge of Firearms Regulation Bylaw 1991 No. 3001 Amendment Bylaw 2005 No. 4427 to the Langley Agricultural Advisory Committee (LAAC) for review and comment prior to obtaining approval from the Ministry of Agriculture.
    EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:

At its Regular Meeting on March 14th, 2005, Council requested that staff review the existing Discharge of Firearms Bylaw.
    Staff have reviewed the proposed amendment with the Ministry of Agriculture staff and are satisfied that the amendment will address the issue of extensive and unnecessary firearm discharge while maintaining the provision to allow for the protection of livestock and crops from birds or animals.
    PURPOSE:

To amend the Township of Langley's Discharge of Firearms Regulation Bylaw to prevent extensive and unnecessary firearm discharge while maintaining the provision to allow for the protection of livestock and crops from birds or animals.
    BACKGROUND/HISTORY:

Recently Staff has received complaints from residents with respect the discharge of firearms in rural areas. The complaints are with respect to the noise and safety issues surrounding the discharge of firearms in rural areas. Currently the Township's Discharge of Firearms Regulation Bylaw permits the discharge of firearms for the purpose of protecting livestock or crops from birds or animals. After further review by Staff, it became apparent that the current Discharge of Firearms Regulation Bylaw could be improved to ensure clear and unambiguous legislative intent that the discharge of firearms was for the protection of the crops or livestock only and not for the purpose of hunting.

Therefore, Staff has prepared Discharge of Firearms Regulation Amendment Bylaw 2005 No. 4427 to address the issue of extensive and unnecessary firearm discharge while maintaining the provision to allow for the protection of livestock and crops from birds or animals.

Thanks!
    Spera in Deo

you can google the number on monday and call them its easier.

then call the surrey branch for a CO they will clear it up for you......ask for jack t
    member of the Kingfisher rod and gun club.

It is not formerly MOE. Correction it was formerly MoFR.
    Quote Originally Posted by gab View Post
    The Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations (formerly MOE) somtimes issues deer permits to protect agricultural crops. The farmer with the problem needs to apply. Often times you do not get to keep the deer harvested - it goes to needy families or First Nations.

I will be phoning Monday, but my point is unless they can provide some proof, bylaw document stating that it is illegal, they do not have the ability to fine you. Someone in Charge of ByLaws isn't good enough (they might simply put forth an opinion), SHOW ME THE BYLAW stating no discharge of Bow or gun. From the ByLaws they have available, I don't see it.

As hunters we're expected to know and follow the rules & regs. Municipal, provincial & federal. They must be listed and easily accessible. If a by law doesn't exist within the municipality, and I follow all the provincial & federal laws,
    it is against the law for anyone to interfere with my ability to hunt.
    Spera in Deo

go to abby, or mission. and hunt...i do...again bow only, and yes i have my permits and have called co and city and i am 100% legal to hunt
    and th no discharge of bow or gun in langley isnt totaly right...target shooting is legal. and that is discharging...

weird i tried to edit my post and it doesnt show any text when i click to edit...lol

myself to is the first time ive heard no hunting by bow in langley...most is private property is why they say no hunting, i was told same for abby and mssion but im allowed..