Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 round mag in bolt action ok?

Re: 5 round mag in bolt action ok?

sorry to be a pain in the ass guys, but what about semi auto rifles? like an sks or m14, are you allowed to fill the mag to five rounds or only 3? i have a hard time understanding some of those regs(too many and too complicated) i plan on using my sks for deer hunting and dont want to get caught with too many rounds in mag.

Mags have to be "pinned" to 5 rounds for a centre fire semi-auto. You can hunt with one but the mag has to be no more than 5 rounds. Any mag for a centre fire rifle that holds more than 5 rounds is a prohibited weapon (certain exceptions do apply). I re-read your question... You can hunt with 5 rounds in the mag.

i was once told this as well also been told it is against the law to walk around well hunting with one in the chamber and safty on

Quote Originally Posted by BernDawg View Post
    Mags have to be "pinned" to 5 rounds for a centre fire semi-auto. You can hunt with one but the mag has to be no more than 5 rounds. Any mag for a centre fire rifle that holds more than 5 rounds is a prohibited weapon (wrong!) (certain exceptions do apply). I re-read your question... You can hunt with 5 rounds in the mag.
    The 5 rnd limit is only for semi auto center fire. Other action type center fire rifles do not have a limit. You can hunt with a bolt action rifle with a full 20 rnd mag if you can find one. Heavy and pointless, though there are a few 10 rnd mags out there for some bolt action rifles. These laws are not provincial hunting ones, at least here in BC, but federal ones covering firearms. I believe the exceptions that the poster is mentioning are concerning 10 rnd mags that happen to fit certain center fire semi autos but are designed for another fire arm.

Quote Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
    i was once told this as well also been told it is against the law to walk around well hunting with one in the chamber and safty on
    It is perfectly legal to walk around hunting with one in the pipe and the safety on. Some people will argue a safety issue with this. My buddy was brought up to have the chamber empty and rack the boat when your going to shoot. I was brough up to always have one in the pipe..... legal.

Robinson arms XCR 6.8spc, 7.62x39, and .223 all have legal 10 rounders. Perfectly legal to hunt with. Hell the 6.8 is just like a .243....

Technically those 10 round CF mags are made for pistols that have the same type of mag well. As a pistol mag they are legal at ten rounds and as such are not prohibited in any way. They should actually have that etched or written on them "10 round LAR pistol magazine" or something similar to pass the RCMP acid test.

Keep in mind Sks military rounds are full metal jacket I believe.
    Not to be used for hunting. Require using an expanding bullet type in the Sks if your using it for hunting.
    I have an Sks and it is surprisingly an accurate iron sight gun. I can pop multiple clays at 50yards or so.

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoeP View Post
    No, pump shotguns can hold as many as you can put in, unless you are migratory bird hunting. I just put a mag extension on my Benelli pump and can now hold 7 in the mag and one in the chamber. If I go duck hunting then I have to plug it. Bolt action rifles have no limit, just semi's.
    You sure about that? You might wanna buy a plug before this fall...

Hunting, trapping and firearm prohibitions
    (1) A person commits an offence if the person hunts, takes, traps, wounds or kills wildlife
    (a) that is an endangered species or threatened species,
    (b) in a wildlife sanctuary,
    (c) at a time not within the open season,
    (d) with a firearm or a bow during the prohibited hours,
    (e) by the use or with the aid of a light or illuminating device,
    (f) with poison,
    (g) with a set gun, or
    (h) with a pump, repeating or auto loading shotgun unless the magazine contains a plug that is incapable of removal except by disassembling the gun, and that makes the magazine incapable of holding more than 2 cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz720 View Post
    You sure about that? You might wanna buy a plug before this fall...
    The plug means for shotgun only, right. I did my hu ting license about 15 years ago and I believe max capacity for hunting was 3 plus one in chamber for bolt and semis. But it's a long time ago.

Auto loading CENTERFIRE 5 shot mag max, but no such restriction for bolt, pump or lever guns. 2+1 for shotguns is for hunting with shot shells only, not so for slugs.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.