Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A final day for ducks this time around.

Re: A final day for ducks this time around.

Work today, cant use the "I'm hunting" excuse anymore till late goose and brant season.

I'll go for a season change only if you lose the last two weeks of oct. But keep thanksgiving opening weekend and that week. Can't screw with tradition.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Work today, cant use the "I'm hunting" excuse anymore till late goose and brant season.

I'll go for a season change only if you lose the last two weeks of oct. But keep thanksgiving opening weekend and that week. Can't screw with tradition.
    You do have a point but theres always Alberta..........ROAD TRIP????
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

tony, you have a mountanous task ahead of you. you will have to have agreements from all the clubs on the island and the support of region2 as we have a mirrored season to you. with the gov,t push harmonize seasons through out the province.they do listen to a point.be prepared for a long period of negoitations . with alot of help and support it can be done. took about 4 years to get the snow goose limit changed and has been about 4 years to try and get them to see the reason to raise the canada limit from 5 to 10..i wish you well and if i can help i will. i hope you can gather up a committee to help out as it will take some travel..keep in mind you will have to argue science so you,ll need the help from biologists and the farming community.if i can help just call....dale

O.K....you heard the man... lets all back tony on the quest to change things for the better.....k.k.....
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

There is absoultly no reason to change or extend the the season on ducks. It is currently more than generous on limits and season length. With the staggered goose seasons we can hunt waterfowl from sept to march with only a few periods when the season is closed. The ducks are also now starting to pair for the upcoming breeding season which will start in late march and further hunting pressure will only disrupt this cycle resulting in less birds for next season. Be happy with what we have, most waterfowl hunters in this country can only dream of being able to hunt an entire season from start to finish as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by heyblast View Post
    There is absoultly no reason to change or extend the the season on ducks. It is currently more than generous on limits and season length. With the staggered goose seasons we can hunt waterfowl from sept to march with only a few periods when the season is closed. The ducks are also now starting to pair for the upcoming breeding season which will start in late march and further hunting pressure will only disrupt this cycle resulting in less birds for next season. Be happy with what we have, most waterfowl hunters in this country can only dream of being able to hunt an entire season from start to finish as we do.
    Your response is the only negative one I have received out of several dozen answers I received on this subject!! As far as the birds pairing up for breeding, this happens often way before the end of January!! We are not asking for extra days we are asking that we get to target birds that are in our
    areas in greater numbers at this time of year! Breeding disruption is not an issue!---Cheers---Field Marshal.

105 days for ducks is more than sufficient. Even with limited time in the field this season I had no problem accessing sufficient numbers of birds, in a public area I'll add. I've read enough posts on this site to clearly see there are enough birds being taken by a number of members that access to birds is a non starter. Also I see too many photos posted with half limits of hens or more to accept that a change to a later season will not effect breeding numbers. Yes ducks start forming lose pair bounds as early as Nov. but by the end of this month they will be pairing for the breeding season and an extension to the season will only have a negative effect on numbers.

Now you are going to use the old story about how the shooting of drakes only is a primary source of waterfowl recruitment for the year????
    Show me the science in this???? Then go ahead and tell me you only pick GANDERS out of a decoying flock of Canada's or Brant?? Get off it , I've already explained we don't want more days we want the dates adjusted to get the most value from our seasons!!!--- Cheers---Field Marshal.

I SAID THERE ARE ENOUGH OPPORTUNITIES IN THE CURRENT SEASON TO SHOOT YOUR LEGAL LIMIT OF DUCKS. I don't care if you shoot hens or not I've shot my share. The current season dosn't need to be changed to increase numbers of ducks shot.

I love it when 2 old guys yell at each other on the internet!!!

I dont think i would nesscarily shoot more birds with it being open later.

However i know that i would shoot "nicer" more mature full plummage birds.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.