Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22lr shot grouse breast damage

Re: 22lr shot grouse breast damage

Ive used Remyellowjacket HP's ;not pretty.Inside out and mincemeat pieces.I sure had fun with the bow this last season though.

i use cheap 22 whatever is sold by the brick cheapest, and never really had a problem with breast damage, a couple shot in the back and exit on the front have lost 1/4-1/2 breast but thats few and far between, 90% head or neck shots, some upper body and a few where no good shot was available through the breast front facing and it just leaves a little pinky sized hole but a big hole in the back.

90% of the time i shoot for the head, but if its at a longer range or moving i yend to shoot for the body. My 10/22 has a 3x9x32 on it and is dialed, 50 yards plus is never a problem lol. As for rounds, i use the cheap solid federals i think. Very minimal damage to the breast. I dont like to use shotguns for grouse, cant stand biting down on a missed pellet even though i aim for the head.
    " Size doesn't matter 'til the freezer is full!" - Dad

" If you buy a new gun, I get a new kitchen!" - my lovely wife

Sako Finnlight 300 WSM
    Rem 700 CDL 25.06 Rem

Quote Originally Posted by SimilkameenSlayer View Post
    i agree about the head shots.

as i said in post 1, my experince with occasional breast shot, that there has been surprisingly minimum meat damage.
    i find this interesting, as a lot of folk are saying grouse body shots destroy the breast meat, i have not found this so.
    I tried body shots with my 22 when I first started hunting. shot like 10 of the little ****ers in one day. and all flew away. So I went back to the cabin and cut x's in the bullets with my knife and the next day all I did was blow them up. Since then .....head shots only.

Live and learn.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne

I use 22 shorts, obviously less damage. Makes sense doesnt it.

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Not much less damage with a short to a long rifle, and if you head shot no loss. I never eat the cheek meat of the grouse, not enough to make it worth while
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by sky-gunner View Post
    I shot a grouse with a .410 this year. Was maybe 15ft away. Well I missed the head, and put every single pellet through his chest haha. Needles to say was not much left to eat. Gonna try my trusty 10/22 next year. But I do like the .410

Heh..heh.....me too.
    I shot a grouse right from the top (the grouse was in the ditch). Every darn pellet went into its chest....needless to say....I hamburgerized that poor bird.
    The real pain about it...was ruining the rest of the meat looking for the pellets.
    Next year...I'll try my 10/22 again at least I don't have to damage the meat looking for pellets

Quote Originally Posted by BearStump View Post
    I tried body shots with my 22 when I first started hunting. shot like 10 of the little ****ers in one day. and all flew away. So I went back to the cabin and cut x's in the bullets with my knife and the next day all I did was blow them up. Since then .....head shots only.

Live and learn.
    This is what my husband and I got frusterated about....everytime we shot a bird with our 22's they just flew off and became coyote dinner. Last two years we've acquired couple of low gauge shotguns like the 410, 28 and 20. The birds never got away after the use of a shotgun....but searching for pellets in the meat was a real pain in the behind.

i always do headshots on grouse.
    i'd hate to mess their innerds and make it harder to clean.
    they've gotta be the easiest, cleanest thing there is to clean.
    is there anything that beats them?

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    i always do headshots on grouse.
    i'd hate to mess their innerds and make it harder to clean.
    they've gotta be the easiest, cleanest thing there is to clean.
    is there anything that beats them?
    a store bought cornish game hen lol
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr