Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swaro HD 65 VS the Kowa 773 compro

Swaro HD 65 VS the Kowa 773 compro

This post comes in response from numerous comments about the difference between the Swaro 65 HD and the Kowa 773. First if all, I, myself have always wanted to place these 2 scopes together at the same time to compare. When you go shopping for new optics we are confined to the retailers time, location ect, ect.
    Elkaddict graciously offered his Kowa 773 to compare. I then had a gracious owner of a Swaro to offer up his scope. The comparison was held on this past Friday afternoon. We started at 4:00 pm - conditions where obviously, fading light, clearing skies , but with fog or low cloud cover in the far background, approx 2.5 kms away. At first physical appearance the Swaro is a bit smaller, however, the Kowa would still fit in any pocket that the Swaro would fit into. A tiny bit heavier, but never, ever noticeably in a pack. When I ( this may be different for others) would walk up to the scope to first look through, I could find my target quicker and easier, I don't know why but I just could. At 4:00 pm I really could not see the difference between these 2.
    We tested at various distances about 200 yards, and about 2.5 kms.
    At 200 yards we had an eye chart, signage and mailboxes that had papers in them.
    As the light started to fade the clarity and brightness in the Kowa was very noticeable. The brightness of the Kowa made the viewing for sustained time much more comfortable, with less eye fatigue. A very noticeable test was viewing newspapers in a mailbox from 200 yards. Through the Swaro the mailbox interior and objects appeared to be the same shade of darkness. While through the Kowa you could see the white edges of the newspaper. I thought that this was remarkable.
    Another feature of the Kowa which I thought was superior was it's ability to focus. The Kowa has 2 focus screws main and fine. The fine makes the very small adjustments very easy to accomplish.
    Up to this comparison I was leaning more to the Swaro. But after this comparison I will be getting the Kowa 773. I was truly impressed. Elkaddict had the very same conclusions that I have. He has reserved comments because critics would claim he is biased.
    I do want to thank Elkaddict for offering me the opportunity and the owner of the Swaro.
    Let the debate begin!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Swaro HD 65 VS the Kowa 773 compro

Blasphemy ! Dozens of posts say you have to by one of the Euro top three, or your hunt is jinxed and full of regrets.
    What next ? a Vortex rifle scope ?

Thanks for the honest review
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I don't own any Kowa products, but all the ones I've looked through have been very, very good.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

very good responce. what eye pieces were you using? is the objective lense on the kowa 77mm.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1993ap View Post
    very good responce. what eye pieces were you using? is the objective lense on the kowa 77mm.
    Eye piece is 20 -60, same as the Swaro. Yes, the Kowa is 77mm

i think a more accurate comparison would have been to use a swaro with an 80mm objective lense. the specs on a swaro 80 and the kowa 773 are closer than the swaro 65 and the kowa 773.

So the swaro was a 65mm and the Kowa was a 77mm ?

Sorry to shoot holes in your test, but you have apples vs oranges..... Not a fair test.

The 77mm objective is going to draw in more light then a 65mm. Plain and simple. Doesn't matter if its a Bushnell, Leica, or Kowa.

You need to redo the test comparing identical scopes. Power and objective size....

Last edited by Slee; 01-15-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Considering what information is actually required on the card, yup, you're an idiot if ya make an error.

the swaro 65 is 10 ounzes lighter. every ounze counts when you pack the scope a long ways.

about the difference between the Swaro 65 HD and the Kowa 773.
    Slee, the test is a comparison of these two scopes
    no more no less
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by 2x4x16 View Post
    Eye piece is 20 -60, same as the Swaro. Yes, the Kowa is 77mm
    Agreed. A 12mm greater objective lens is a skewed comaparison. It would be far more subjective to compare the renowned Kowa 773 to the Swarovski 80 with an advantage of a mere 3mm difference. Nice try though.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"