Thread: Replacement keys for stack-on gun safe.

Replacement keys for stack-on gun safe.

So I lost my keys in the water while on my boat. Had to get my buddy to drive me home for the spare jeep key and it cost $80 for another copy with the chip from the dealership. Also on the key ring was keys to both my gun safes. I tried to copy them from my spares but Canadian Tire doesn't have blanks. I went to a locksmith and its the same.

So I went to stack-on's website. They have a form you can download to get duplicates but they require the origional bill of sale which I didn't bother to keep. They also want a copy of my driver's licence and noterised signature etc.

It's starting to look like it would be cheaper and easier to replace the whole safe except that they are built into a wall and would require ripping out a lot of drywall and framing to get them out.

Anyone know where to go to get copies made from an origional key in the lower mainland?
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Replacement keys for stack-on gun safe.

It's odd that a locksmith doesn't have a blank. Try a different locksmith. You can always replace the locks.

I got spares cut for mine at our local lock-smith. I bought two used safes and each only came with one key .. marked "Do not copy". I explained this to the lock-smith and indicated I'm not locking my firearms in a safe with no spare key. Still some hesitation on the side of the lock-smith until I offered to bring the safes in and he could re-key them or what ever he wanted if he wasn't willing to cut copies of "Do not copy" keys , he ended up making me a copy of each.

So, as Gun Dog suggested .. try another lock-smith, they "should" have blanks.

I guess I'll keep looking. TPK were the safes you got the keys for stack-on?

I received a stackon with no keys. 1 minute with a drill and the lock was taken out. They are easily removable from inside and replacement locks of the same type are available for about $20.
    Bbo

Yes, both were older Stack-On safes.

My Stack on safe came with 2 Keys ????a spare . didnt yours?
    And That Is That

It did but his went overboard fighting the General Sherman. How did you miss that?

Turns out stack-on won't send you a replacement key without the origional bill of sale or noterized letter as I stated before but I found out they will send you a cylinder with 2 keys, keyed to whatever # you request for $15 (I think they wanted $25 for just the keyplus I would've had to pay for notery). So I just ordered a new cylinder keyed to match one of the safes. I'll change one of the cyliders and I'll have 3 keys that will open either of my safes. It takes up to 6 weeks to arrive though, but i've called around. Nobody has blanks and I was told the cylinders are unique to other types. They have to be replaced with another stack-on or it work work the mechanism.

A little too easy really, considering the number is marked on the outside of the lock where anyone could see it. Luckily the only people who see my gun safes are people I trust and the safe is just one aspect of my home security.