Thread: spotting scope power

spotting scope power

looking at getting a new spotting scope (packable)...so with that.....would it be a waist getting a 20-60x60 (because of its lower light) at 60 power...or should a guy go with a 15-45x65 less power but the same light...
    any one have experience between the two....thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: spotting scope power

I have a Leo 20x60 and your right the light sucks past 40x. If I had to buy one just for packin in the mountains I would go with something smaller with better light transmission.
    The boss

go with the 60power its great when you need it and can use it my two sheep hunting partners have 20x40 scopes and are always using mine in low light.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

There is no hard and fast rule. It will depend totally on the quality of the scope and eyepiece. My old Nikon 20-60X60 was useable to 60X in nice bright conditions, but when the light started to fade you had to dial back around 40 to keep the image bright enough to see. The Swaro 20-60X65 I looked through recently was excellent in fading light. The lower the quality of the optic, the less useable it will be at higher powers, especially in less than optimum light.

I agree, if you buy an inexpensive spotting scope, then stick with 15-45X, if you buy high end, then 20-60X...
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

I got a 12-40x60 Leupold gold ring, but it's a stepping stone for me to the Swarovski 20-60x65
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004