Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introducing my new buddy Trigger

Re: Introducing my new buddy Trigger

had a blue nose myself great dog but dont let them have there first fight.mine had a go with a neighbor hood raccoon ,from there on anything that size was going down.cute pup btw.

Keep up with the socialization and he will be fine. Get him neutered as this will help.

My buddy is "Charlie" she is an American Staffordshire Terrier we adopted from the SPCA at 8 months. I have had zero issues socializing her with other dogs. She just loves to play... First week I had her the neighbors lab grabbed her by the neck and hurt her a bit. The next week she was back trying to play with the same dog LOL... Charlie and my 5 year old are inseparable buddies now. My advice is research the breed and understand it has some social considerations attached to it. The stigma the media has attached to the breed is really ramapnt with the uneducated. I pay 350 dollars a year to own and keep my dog becasue she is classified a "dangerous breed" in my community. The neighbour with grumpy lab pays 18 a year.... I had to build an escape proof outdoor kennel and can't walk her in town without a muzzle. I can't let her play at the dog park becasue she has to be leashed at all times when in town. I follow all the rules not becasue I agree with them but because I am trying to be an ambassador for the breeds.

I guess what I am saying is be an ambassador for the breed. If your community has special licensing and restrictions then follow them and help make people understand they are just dogs. IMO there are no bad dogs just bad owners.

Oh and get ready for chewing LOL. If you have a set of antlers you don't need give them to the little guy and let him chew on them. These dogs have powerful jaws and most standard chew toys my dog Charlie has destryed fast...

Charlie can carry about 30 lbs in her pack with no issues she is a 50 lbs female about 2 now. The issue I have had so far with her is her feet. She doesn't seem to have tough pads gets cut up allot. We are trying booties LOL. They are pretty shorthaired dogs as well. My dog has a nice pink belly LOL... Outdoor wear is a must in the fall and early spring if its rainy or she gets cold fast. They are a high energy breed for sure but IMO they need some help for extended trips in the bush.

Although I've never owned a pitbull myself, I'm fairly experienced with the breed, there are two currently in our group of friends, both well behaved, and well socialized.
    Victoria doesn't have any breed restrictions, but I Will definitely be creating the best ambassador for the breed I possibly can. I understand very well the stigma associated with the breed, but all you can do with those people is show them, telling doesnt help, ya just have to show them a well behaved dog.
    As for the chewing, he's got a big knot of rope, a nylabone, and a used chunk of marrow bone donated by a buddy's pack, and has been fairly easy to correct/redirect onto appropriate stuff to chew.
    Kennel training has been surprisingly smooth, all night in his kennel with no whining, whimpering or accidents.
    He'll be out wheeling, camping, hunting, etc with me, and I'm pleased with his leaning abilities in the truck, gets his legs wide and leans into corners, a valuable skill for a 4x4 guy's dog.
    We took him yesterday to meet my two best friend's dogs, a big male wolf cross, a Female coyote cross, and a pair of pitbulls, one male, one female. He walked into the house, plopped himself down on the first bed he came to and waited for them to come over and say hi.
    So far so good!
    First shots are in about an hour.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

And McRae-the only issue I've had with him is he does NOT want to leave once he's found a warm spot, be it house, truck, or just a rag to sit on outside. Can't blame him, it's a cold windy world out there.

And give him a job pack dog is good they also excell in weight pulling competitions. They need to be trained up for something to keep them focused IMO
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Congrats on your rescue dog- thats a great storey ! Always being a bit apprehensive about the breed but i guess like all dogs its how they are raised mostly - never though about them being a real outdoor and pack dog ? Have they got good stamia ? Like for packing up into the mountains ? They are very short haired - do they get cold easily - I know they are tough -no doubt there ! thks Jim

lots of homeless people have pitbuls with no problems .these dogs are well socialized and walked for miles daily ,well worked pitty is a well behaved pitty!

I have a Pitbull as well and she is awesome. As mentioned above I also have problems with her getting cuts on her pads when hiking although it doesn't seem to phase her and she heals fast. It also seems that any time we get anything below ten degree's she shivers like crazy when we stop for breaks. She seems fine if constantly moving and keeps trucking along with no complaints.

Last edited by TESKELLY; 12-31-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    Genesis 27:3 (NIV1984)
    Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Well a couple months have passed, and Trigger is bigger.
    Socialization is still going well, cats are still on the same page, one wants to kill him, the other ignores him. Having some difficulty with coming when called, if he's playing, but he's a pup so I'm not too concerned. We've had one small incident with him disassembling a cat toy that contained batteries, but I busted him before he managed to finish his tech project.
    Got him an outward hound pack, haven't put anything in it, just getting him used to the idea now, but he seems ok with the idea. The pack is still too big for him, but again, he's just getting used to wearing it now.

Spent all day yesterday working on a buddy's wheeling rig, left the dogs to battle in the yard. Once Posi-Trac was covered in mud, we put them in the sun to dry, and there they sat, and behaved themselves for about 5 hours.

Well Trigger is about 8 months now, and life is good!
    We get out for a good hike with his pack on (empty coke bottles in it now, no weight, but some bulk), at least once a week. He was introduced to guns a few months back and has zero issues with them, he sat behind us last night while we burned through 300 rounds of 12 gauge. He is VERY interested in stuff falling out of the sky when we're shooting, but I don't think he's gonna have the soft mouth we need for upland game!
    My brother is down from up north with his 14 month old son, and the only issue we had was when Jackson dove off the couch and head butted Trigger. They were about equally unhappy about it.the situation with the cats is improving, they don't snuggle, but everyone is on good terms.
    He's up to just over 60lbs now.