Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tuning, having some issues

tuning, having some issues

i just got a new arrow rest and am trying to tune the bow. i have neve tuned a bow before but ive read up on it and tried to get it shooting good. i put the rest on and made sure its level and started to walk back tune it. ive got it pretty good but i started to shoot a bare shaft afrer and its not going to whell. i am shooting the bare shaft at 20 yards and its about 4 inches to the left and its not hitting the target straight. it gets about 15 yards and swerves left. what should i expect when i shoot a bare shaft. i'm getting a good group with the rest just as good as my last rest but the bare shaft isnt going whell.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: tuning, having some issues

I am sure help will be on the way soon. Good luck

Bow Walker Guest

When I install a new rest the first thing I do is to step back, while the bow is still in the vice [or hold it out at arms length], and "eyeball" it to make sure that the prongs or arrow support arm(s) line up with the string. By that I mean - with the bow in a vertical position the string should be right down the middle of the arrow rest. It's called "center-shot" and unless it is lined up correctly your arrows will be flying all over the place.

Another good way to check center-shot is to nock an arrow while the bow is in the vice [and is leveled properly] have the arrow rest in the "up" position, then stand back and look down the arrow. Adjust as necessary so that the string runs right down the center of the arrow, from nock to tip.

After adjusting your center shot - nock the arrow and put the rest into the "up" position again. Check that the arrow is at 90 degrees to the string. If not, adjust the rest or move the nocking point so that the arrow is at right angles.

Now it's time to got outside and start your Walk-Back tuning....given that everything else is aligned properly. Hope this helps you - if not, I'm sure someone like Bowzone Mikey or Willyqbc will chime in and put us right.
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 12-29-2011 at 11:34 AM.

I have to ask ..... what do you expect when you are bareshaft tuning
    what equipment are you running

Bareshaft is really only applicible to recurve shooters and compound fingers shooters .....

but lets assume you are shootin fingers .... you say your arrow is going left ... I assume you are right handed... your arrow is a bit stiff

here is a good diagram of what your bareshaft problems would be
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

i never held the bow so i'll try that now. thanks. do you line up the arrow with the pins as whell. the pins are a little to the left when i line the string up with the arrow?

i was unsure of tuning and the closest bow shop told me that he only tunes arrows with a bare shaft not paper tuning. i dont shoot fingers and i have a hoyt cyber tech. this bow has shot bare shafts before quite whell when the guy from the bow store tuned it. i guess bare shaft tuning doesnt apply to me so i'll just walk back tune it? the arrows seem to be flying really good with the new rest compared to my old two prong rest. its also way quieter.

LOL ... that makes sense ..... the guy that said that knows enough to be dangerous ... lol .... taking what he has heard from alot of people and putting out of context ....

best way to shoot/tune a compound with a release aid is just as you are doing ... walkback !
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

haha ok thanks. i'll go give it another try and see how it works.

You could try adjusting your center shot slightly.
    Don't ever forget that you just may wind up being wrong!! -- Jimmy Buffet

Bow Walker Guest

Pins, arrow, and string should all be "in-line" before attempting any shooting. It's a starting point - one that will save a lot of frustration.