Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .17 HM2 for grouse?

Re: .17 HM2 for grouse?

Are you out using it just for grouse that day or do you pack it in the truck on the way to a spot?

They make too much noise IMO, 22's are effective, and make much less noise. Depends what you'd be using it for IMO

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    Are you out using it just for grouse that day or do you pack it in the truck on the way to a spot?

pack it in the truck on my way to spot

They make too much noise IMO, 22's are effective, and make much less noise. Depends what you'd be using it for IMO

good point
    have been using my marlin 795 22lr semi, which has been very good.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

Quote Originally Posted by SimilkameenSlayer View Post
    great info, thanks

what about 100 yard shots? how accurate?
    I'll try mine at the range pretty soon. At 25 yds, 3 basically in the same spot + or - 1/16 of an inch, right smack dead center. At 50 yds, 3 inside a 1/4 inch, 1 1/2 inches high. Have to push the limits to 100 yds just to see.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

my 17 hmr holds 3/4 " groups @ 100yrds in prefect conditions. any wind and she spreads.
    found the hornady ammo the best choice followed close by federal. both using the vmax 17gr rounds. hollow points don't fly that great at longer distances

buy a cheep champion spinner target @ canadian tire for 40$. use 1" high vis stickers, and set it out @ 100 yrds. the stickers explode when hit directly. misses stay on the swinger.

DP

I have used my son's in HMR and had great results with grouse, way better than a shotgun for meat damage. Easy to clean too, I have shot grouse out to 70 yards away with it and its sighted in at 100 yards.
    Barnes ttsx, the four pedals of death that lead to great a great BBQ.

I use my win .17 500x (walmart pellet gun) with a bigger spring of course, for grouse and rabbits. not nearly as acurate as your HMR's. i have not sigthed her at the range (for lack of embarassment) but she is almost bang on at 25 yrds. Grouse go down instantly with a headshot. However only 1 of 3 rabbits have gone down on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by fourbyfourtoy View Post
    I use my win .17 500x (walmart pellet gun) with a bigger spring of course, for grouse and rabbits. not nearly as acurate as your HMR's. i have not sigthed her at the range (for lack of embarassment) but she is almost bang on at 25 yrds. Grouse go down instantly with a headshot. However only 1 of 3 rabbits have gone down on the spot.
    25 yards is most often a normal range for shooting grouse. I bet it's pretty quiet shooting too.

I have an inexpensive .17 HMR (SavageSS Bull Barrel model) and put a Leupold VX1 on it... incredibly accurate at 50 yards and with a rest on a calm day I can plink shotgun shells off the rail at 100 yards. Longest grouse kill = 125 yards free standing! whoo hoo! Probably the most fun rifle I've ever owned! The ammunition is a little pricey for casual plinking for too long.
    Last edited by The Hermit; 01-18-2012 at 12:22 AM.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Anybody tried the Winchester ammo? Same velocity as the Federal but about $4 per box cheaper.

I use the 20 grain Hornady hunting ammo in my .17HMR, and I've shot two turkeys with it at over a hundred yards.
    It acts more like a deer soft point bullet, expands fast but doesn't "blow up" like the 17 grain, which is really frangible.
    3/4" groups at the range with my Savage SS bolt action at 100 yards, using a Harris Bipod, which is what I use hunting.
    I'm thinking on grouse at short range, especially, even the 20 grain bullet will have too much energy if you hit the breast
    and will blow it up...head shots only.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!