Thread: .17 HM2 for grouse?

.17 HM2 for grouse?

seems to make sense for head shots.

what do you guys think?

thanks.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

2. Site Sponsor

Re: .17 HM2 for grouse?

shot many with mine. headshots only, as if you hit the breast there isn't enough meat left to do anything with.

to bad the chambering isn't more popular, I sold mine and wish I still had it. was awesome on small game and beaver. if they could make it work reliably in a semi-auto it would be the 2nd coming for the gopher crowd...

thanks for the reply.

it's a cute little caliber .... the perfect grouse sniper caliber, i would think.
    Last edited by SimilkameenSlayer; 12-28-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

I have the 17HMR and it is also a headshot only gun, if you plan on eating any meat. I think I'll take it out this spring along with the shotgun for those turkeys that hang up out of range. Very very accurate! I'm taking it out tomorrow for coyotes, try out my new e-caller and see if I can get them into the 50m range. I think a close range headshot on a coyote would be very effective and basically zero hide damage.

i like the price of the ammo, seams reasonable to me.

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?page...3=1483&ID=3151
    *30-06 180g h4350*

to bad the chambering isn't more popular, I sold mine and wish I still had it. was awesome on small game and beaver. if they could make it work reliably in a semi-auto it would be the 2nd coming for the gopher crowd...
    l have a Marlin semi-auto that hasn't let me down yet. Expectations weren't very high for a $200 dollar gun but it impressed me enough l went back and bought a second one that's still in the box. No complaints on its accuracy or reliably so far........
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire

Never tried the HM2. I use the Federal HMR. HM2 muzzle velocity is 2100 fps, HMR muzzle velocity is 2550 fps, both using the 17 gr bullet. They sure do bark nice. The only bad thing is the HMRs are $18-19 a box. Head or neck shot will do the job.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Quote Originally Posted by 416 View Post
    l have a Marlin semi-auto that hasn't let me down yet. Expectations weren't very high for a $200 dollar gun but it impressed me enough l went back and bought a second one that's still in the box. No complaints on its accuracy or reliably so far........

Marlin and Remington both made semis in the M2, but dropped them due to issues with spit cases, head separation, and general failing of components. recoil energy in the bolt and springs is quite sever compared to a .22LR. most of the companies offering Ruger 10/22 conversion kits have stopped production due to these issues too.

great info, thanks

what about 100 yard shots? how accurate?
    *30-06 180g h4350*

I have the 10/22 with the Mag barrel as well as the HMR both in bull barrels. In 6 years and hundreds of rounds , still no problem with splits.Pretty accurate too!