Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help need blind ideas

help need blind ideas

newb to field ducks, i have premition to huint some hay fields with some water in them now.
    problem is there is no cover close to the water spots where the ducks are active.
    i would love some ideas for cover.

ducks and geese are in the area.

thanks

DP

2. Site Sponsor

Re: help need blind ideas

Can buy a layout blind or get a blanket/sheet similar to the color of the ground, throw any loose depris(hay) on top of the sheet. Lay on the gound and pull the sheet over you. You could build a pit blind but its alot of work and you'd wanna ask permission from the owner first

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Lay down law chair with woven hay mat over top
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Buy a layout, they are money. Or better yet hunt with someone that has 3
    Seriously though you will not regret spending the money on a layout, if your not sure about spending the 300 ish bones

The avery power hunter is about 150

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Ppoacher View Post
    newb to field ducks, i have premition to huint some hay fields with some water in them now.
    problem is there is no cover close to the water spots where the ducks are active.
    i would love some ideas for cover.

ducks and geese are in the area.

thanks

DP
    I am in a similar situation. found a nice place to hunt with lots of ducks but no cover. can't build a permanent blind, so I need to figure out something that is portable and concealed. Last weekend I took four 2/4's, some camo burlap and mesh and made a 2 person box shaped blind, it worked for the singles but for some reason the big flocks were flaring just before they could come in to the shooting range. I am working on a new low profile/portable blind. I will post pics and details if it works.
    "I have no vampire experience, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got there, it had turned back into my neighbor's Dog," Dwight Schrute.

We use rebar about 6' long pushed into the ground in a rough circle, then some burlap and field grass around it. Trick is to build it a week or so before you hunt so the ducks get used to it. Takes about a week and it becomes part of the landscape to them. We built one on a bare assed point in the marsh, at first they wouldnt fly anywhere near it about 10 days latter we went to pull it up after 2 weekends of non productive "shooting" from it and when we approached we jumped about 50 Mallards from the water right in front of it. been using it ever since.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Get a sheet of 6" concrete mesh and cut 2 pieces 4' x 3' and one piece 4' x 4'. Attach the 3' pieces to each end of the 4' piece with some kind of cheap carabiner thingy, one top and one bottom. Viola , a self supporting blind you can weave the local vegetation into easily and quickly. Rig a tump line or 2 backpack straps, fold it closed, and it's easy to carry. A big spike on a 5 ft. line tied to the top end of each wing and you're stable against the wind.

what we used when we hunted geese in alberta was chicken wire fencing 5ft high by about 12ft long .cut a bunch of willows 5 to 6ft tall and push them through. pack it out with you and set it up in a circle, and you have a blind for three people and looks like a stand of willow.

dutch you the great guy's shooting the geese by the golf course?

no, not yet!!! heard the winery is having a problem. time to talk to mister chase.
    i am setting up out beaver cr.

thanks for the wire idea, i have some kicking around here, a trip to the river and load up the back ot the truck with willows and i am set