Everyone has probably found their share of interesting "artefacts" and treasures out in the bush and likley packed a few fossil rocks of a mountain. Last summer while hiking way up in the mountains I found a rifle cartridge out on talus rock slide. One of those places that one could easily assume that you are the only human to have ever been in that very spot. I thought the case was a 30-30 at first but it has DAC 19 16 VII stamped on the bottom. Turns out this stands for Dominion Arsenal of Canada - year 1916, Mark 7 type ammunition. It is the .303 ammunition made for WWI for the Ross and its predecessor the Lee Enfield rifle. Hard to see in the photo...but there is an arrow/triangle stamped through the "C" in DAC which means that cartridge was offically approved by the government of Canada. Finding that casing up in the mtns made me picture a fellow who returned from war enjoying his freedom...hiking up in the mountains he longed for while overseas and shooting a sheep for winter meat, then...sitting down on the rocks...remembering his lost buddies and giving thanks. I don't know if a soldier from WWI would have brought home his infantry rifle...more likely someone using vintage ammunition in an old handed down 303 rifle.....but I like the first story best .

Anyone else find some nifty bush treasure that made you wonder?