Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Bush Treasures

Re: Bush Treasures

Quote Originally Posted by Pablothemagnificent View Post
    A few years ago, I was hunting for Big horn along a trail north of Lillooet, between the Fraser and the West Pavillion Road, along with my son and son-in-law. We were quading towards Leon Creek and came upon a dilapidated Catholic church and long-abandoned settlement. We walked inside as rats scurried off. We stood silently, gazing out through the broken windows to the Fraser and the blue sage bending in the fall wind. I'm not Catholic, but it was a little melancholic for me, so I said, "Hey guys, we're going to sing the Doxology, which we did in harmony. "There, it's still a church", I said, as we closed the door and continued on.
    Wow, I can feel your melancholy through this story. Thanks for sharing. That was pretty neat.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Found a picaroon and a narrow square spade in long abandoned logging slashes - the narrow spade is still with me, and still gets used for latrine digging on hunting trips.
    One abandoned elk hide caused me a lot of grief, the dog ate some of it, and threw up all over the front seat of my 1977 Chev pickup.
    I remember a lot of interesting old machinery and vehicles abandoned on Sooke logging slashes - Malloch and Moseley and others. I am remembering 40+ years ago. I am sure that much has changed since I hunted there.

I was riding my motorcycle off road and stopped to see the view from a cliff. Looked down and about 250 feet away was a white ford truck. Hiked down to it and ripped the rear plate off it since I had no pen or paper to record it. I took that to the police station and told them it will most likely be a stolen truck as there were no bodies in it nor any visible blood in it. Guessing they pushed it off the cliff. never heard back from the cops and yes they wanted my ID. A month later I went back and the truck was gone and a barrier installed.

found quite a few stolen vehicles. was surprise to hear they just leave them
    last one i took cops to the bush to show was a newer bmw, found over the edge with a bunch of other older rusted out vehicles. a full dump site for stolen cars.
    they knew about the location already. this bmw was still in mint shape. no idea how it mae it to the top, us in 4x4 were slipping even. and hours up the hill, obvious had a help and a ride out.
    from the top it actualy looked like a body slumped over the steering wheel. freeked me and buddy out. had to go look though to be sure. i crawl down to the car and find out its the head rest showing and passnger sid was missing. that looked like a head through the thick bush.
    everything was held up by the other vehicles below so was leary on reaching in the car window that was open incase it all slid out on us.
    still had ins papers in it so i took them, ended up guy lived only a few blocks from my house.
    reported it to cops. and called me back saying its stolen and take us out there to show us where it is.
    after we did all this i asked what happens to these vehicles. dam parts car worth a few bucks. he told me they leave the,m. recovery isnt worth the cost apperently.
    not a damage panel on the car. cept front end from impact, and was minor, thousands of dollars left as parts for the taking.
    wish i had proper recovery gear at the time to strap it off so it didnt slide away, and tear it apart for parts.

A few years ago I found a burnt wreck of a truck not far from where we were living at the time. It was down a nasty trail full of mud holes. They had tried to run the truck over some small trees when it eventually got snagged up on one. I recorded the plate number and reported it. The police phoned me later to say it had been stolen from Kamloops about a month earlier. I dragged it out of there using a tractor, a tow company came out and picked it up a day or two later. The mud hole the truck had been sitting in had oil floating in it.

^^^^^^^ I am surprised they would not recover vehicles anymore as this could pose an environmental hazard.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

car found on side of fraser