Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bush Treasures

Bush Treasures

Everyone has probably found their share of interesting "artefacts" and treasures out in the bush and likley packed a few fossil rocks of a mountain. Last summer while hiking way up in the mountains I found a rifle cartridge out on talus rock slide. One of those places that one could easily assume that you are the only human to have ever been in that very spot. I thought the case was a 30-30 at first but it has DAC 19 16 VII stamped on the bottom. Turns out this stands for Dominion Arsenal of Canada - year 1916, Mark 7 type ammunition. It is the .303 ammunition made for WWI for the Ross and its predecessor the Lee Enfield rifle. Hard to see in the photo...but there is an arrow/triangle stamped through the "C" in DAC which means that cartridge was offically approved by the government of Canada. Finding that casing up in the mtns made me picture a fellow who returned from war enjoying his freedom...hiking up in the mountains he longed for while overseas and shooting a sheep for winter meat, then...sitting down on the rocks...remembering his lost buddies and giving thanks. I don't know if a soldier from WWI would have brought home his infantry rifle...more likely someone using vintage ammunition in an old handed down 303 rifle.....but I like the first story best .

Anyone else find some nifty bush treasure that made you wonder?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bush Treasures

Very cool find, Eastkootenay! Yesterday, I was hiking in the hills and found the brass that my hunting partner used in October. Although I thought that was kinda neat, I suppose I could have left it for someone to find 100 years from now.

Maybe not a particular item but I love finding old trapper cabins. Can only imagine some stories behind them

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

guest Guest

"Bush" Treasures ....... makes me think of some thing COMPLETELY different.

Am I the only one?

CT

Found a noose with a few very old bones underneath it one top of a fairly large mountain south east of cranbrook, bones wore very old and scattered about

I've never found any bush treasures, but I've certainley treasured some bush!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Found a few hunting knives over the years.....one gerber in particular is a mighty fine treasure that I found....

Quote Originally Posted by TheProvider View Post
    Maybe not a particular item but I love finding old trapper cabins. Can only imagine some stories behind them
    I often wish I had taken photos and kept a record of them.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    "Bush" Treasures ....... makes me think of some thing COMPLETELY different.

Am I the only one?

CT
    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I often wish I had taken photos and kept a record of them.

Oh me too
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

I've found a few treasures over the years. A random knife in it's sheath lying on a hillside while hunting stone sheep, a fly rod in it's case beside the trail while wrangling the horses in the middle of nowhere in the Yukon and best of all twice I've found random beer while sheep hunting!