Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: retrieving ducks from the river?

Re: retrieving ducks from the river?

I'm with lorne and farmer on this one. If you cant retrieve the bird dont hunt there. You cant be planning on best case scenario. I'm sure you can find a spot where you can just wade in and get the birds or get yourself a small boat. I picked up a small punt already camouflaged off craigslist for 100 bucks a couple years ago and it opened up a lot of areas for me. Just keep your eyes open for deals

Well Fowlweather I hunt over all time, infact probably 80 percent of my ducks are shot over ponds, ocean, or rivers... and ALL of them get retrived without a dog.

We use a cheap WestMarine inflatable and drag it pretty much everywhere we go. Its a one man boat that is super light and you can hide it by putting beside bushes with a nice big camo blanket over it, and not even geese will know. No dog and I have never had a bird that was not retrieved from being on water. Best 50 dollar investment of my life besides birth-control for the GF lol.

PS I had to swim for that goose because we werent really planning to be on water that day and we left the boat at home to make room for all the FFD's

longshot jr.

We used to use one of those teloscopic poles for retrieving golf balls,and put a hook on the end.A belly boat workes good too.

Quote Originally Posted by longstonec View Post
    Canadian tire inflata boat. Springtime they seem to be everywhere for about 20$. Maybe don't try shooting class 5 rapids...
    I accedently went down a class 3 rapid in Walmart inner tubes lol. Anyways I would try the fishing rod approach.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    what a stupid thread.

if the water is 20-30 feet deep and you dont have a boat or a dog. DONT HUNT THERE. its simple.

Trying to count on some kind of concocktion to get the bird in a "best case scenario" back to shore is ridiculous!

Lorne
    Sagely comment indeed get a dog, a bout or keep to the fields and sloughs where waders can be utilized. That should be the end of tale.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Would a spinning rod, a treble hook and a bit of lead work? Did it once as a kid---had to run home after shooting a duck since I forgot that they float---and can drift away--LOL
    Limited Entry Loser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpUPp...feature=relmfu
    check out this video of DU hunters retrieving ducks. check at around 8 min mark.
    "I have no vampire experience, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got there, it had turned back into my neighbor's Dog," Dwight Schrute.

Since one of my Labs passed and the other is too old to hunt I wouldn't think of shooting a bird where I couldn't pick it up myself,gadgets or not.I don't like losing birds.I'll hunt over my friends dogs until I decide whether to start over with a new pup. Gunner
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

get a cheap inflatable boat from canadian tire.

Pocket Fisherman with a great big "five o diamonds" attached to 12lb test line worked good for me in my younger days when by myself.

Ron
    Quail is the virgin
    Duck is the mature woman
    .....Iron Chef