Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: retrieving ducks from the river?

retrieving ducks from the river?

so, i dont have a dog, and i dont want to pull an act like longshot (jumping in the water) i am wondering what you thing is a good way to retrieve ducks in a river thats 20-30 feet across? i was thinking of buying a pool cleaning pole that can reach like 25 feet and spray paint it black or green, what do you think.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: retrieving ducks from the river?

Quote Originally Posted by fowlweather View Post
    so, i dont have a dog, and i dont want to pull an act like longshot (jumping in the water) i am wondering what you thing is a good way to retrieve ducks in a river thats 20-30 feet across? i was thinking of buying a pool cleaning pole that can reach like 25 feet and spray paint it black or green, what do you think.
    I would advice you to avoid shooting over water if you don't have a boat or a dog. Get something that is easy to transport like a small kayak or a Rubber boat to retrieve the birds
    "I have no vampire experience, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got there, it had turned back into my neighbor's Dog," Dwight Schrute.

a canoe would be a pain in the ass, i think i will use a pool pole and just leave it there. nobody will see it.

Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

1) Rivers have currents; When the bird hits the water, it's going to keep on floating. You'll need to retrieve it, which really calls for a boat and/or dog.

2) You're assuming the birds will be dead when they hit the water. In my experience, they'll often swim for a bit before dying -- likely out of reach of your pool pole.

Quote Originally Posted by seanps View Post
    Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

1) Rivers have currents; When the bird hits the water, it's going to keep on floating. You'll need to retrieve it, which really calls for a boat and/or dog.

2) You're assuming the birds will be dead when they hit the water. In my experience, they'll often swim for a bit before dying -- likely out of reach of your pool pole.
    Yep what about winged birds that fly out another 50 yds then drop.Boat or Dog i would suggest
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Drop em, were you can get em is best, but lets be realistic....get a piece of dowel 3/4", put a small ring in one end and taper that end. Paint it a bright colour. Now screw in fish hooks, design and number is your choice... if your casting is good it's pretty efficient, if your casting is weak, it'll improve...

Very best,

Ian

PS not recommended for flyrods

Chest waders???????????????????

Canadian tire inflata boat. Springtime they seem to be everywhere for about 20$. Maybe don't try shooting class 5 rapids...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian F. View Post
    Drop em, were you can get em is best, but lets be realistic....get a piece of dowel 3/4", put a small ring in one end and taper that end. Paint it a bright colour. Now screw in fish hooks, design and number is your choice... if your casting is good it's pretty efficient, if your casting is weak, it'll improve...

Very best,

Ian

PS not recommended for flyrods
    Yep,I used to use that a lot ,tie it on a stout rod and make sure you have 3 BIG treble hooks on it,works like a hot damn.And you don`t have to feed it.If you fish a fair amount you can get really accurate with it.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
    Chest waders???????????????????
    more like 20-30 feet deep. there is barely if any current/ no visible current i have thrown a piece of wood and seen that it doesnt move more than an inch in a minute