Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adding geese deeks to help?

adding geese deeks to help?

i am just starting waterflowling. i only have a few duck deeks and have been given a few geese deeks.

just looking to see if i should add the geese deeks to the mix to help bring them in. or just stick with the few ducks

there are geese around just seem to be a few miles away

looking for suggestions

DP

2. Site Sponsor

Re: adding geese deeks to help?

.....add them they'll be confidence booster for your ducks... its like adding a cple snows to a canadian goose decoy set

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

wont hurt thats forsure.

If in a field i like to put them downwind of the ducks as ducks usually like to land over them to get to the food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

That's funny Lorne. We always put them on the upwind side, makes em short stop into the duck decoys. I find they don't want to fly over the geese to get to the ducks. But obvisously that works too, always more then one way to skin a cat hahhaha

Same goes for swan decoys, far up wind just like real life, swans digging stuff up and ducks following picking up the scraps.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

upwind downwind aslong you have decoys on the ground your good the wind changes all the time

Well 2 different replies otta confuse you??? Stick 'em out where you like them!
    Best part about waterfowling is learning stuff for yourself. Keep at it and you will be bagging your share of birds!! Good luck-----Field Marshal.

watch what happens in the fields in the off season or any time really ..do geese and ducks sit together ,,apart,, ,down wind, up wind etc etc ..its all available..oh and most of all have a blast..good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    That's funny Lorne. We always put them on the upwind side, makes em short stop into the duck decoys. I find they don't want to fly over the geese to get to the ducks. But obvisously that works too, always more then one way to skin a cat hahhaha

Same goes for swan decoys, far up wind just like real life, swans digging stuff up and ducks following picking up the scraps.

touche!

I find when watching them that In my experience, The ducks are oppotunists and like to land over the geese with the idea i think that the newest feed is up in front.

I have killed geese with robos going and no goose dekes, and lots of ducks with no duck dekes and only geese as i am sure you have!! So in closing, do what gives you confidence, because thats what really matters.
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 12-15-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

We put our duck deeks in the marsh in front and goose deeks on the hill behind our blind no matter how the wind is blowing. Seems like every time we are calling in geese to the set a big flock of ducks start working our deeks in the marsh, coincidence??
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    We put our duck deeks in the marsh in front and goose deeks on the hill behind our blind no matter how the wind is blowing. Seems like every time we are calling in geese to the set a big flock of ducks start working our deeks in the marsh, coincidence??
    Not sure if its coincidence but it happens to us all the time as well. hahaha