Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Questions, fletchings and goals

2 Questions, fletchings and goals

OK, I know I am a pain but this is fun stuff. I have started to fletch my own arrows, single repairs so far and now I am ready to do a bunch from scratch. I have a Bitzenburger jig and have a straight clamp that you can offset and a right helical clamp. What are the preferred fletchings, length, and which is the best way to put them on?(offset/helical) I have a supply of 2" blazers, some 3" Flex-Fletch and a bunch of 2" Fusion by Duravane. This is mostly for 3D shooting.
    Second question is about a realistic shooting goal for next year. It is not that important as I am having so much fun if I don't make my goal I won't loose any sleep over it. More of just a fun idea, something to shoot for(a good play on words) Considering the amount I get out, hunter release etc. I was thinking 90 percent maybe. I think the key will be my range estimation at places I have not shot at. I know that may be low for some peoples standards but I don't really know and have not been around the sport long. What do you guys/gals think? Cheers Roscoe

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2 Questions, fletchings and goals

for strictly 3D .... the FlexFletch would be just fine ... the Blazers and Fusions will work too ... but I like the low profile of the FF .... I make mine offset ... as they work for me

as for realistic 80% I would think would be realistic ... for a 20 target out door round ... 160ish is a good start ... but each course is differant ... remember that .... when i started I tried for an 8 average per target .... then I worked up to 90 % ... I have never cleaned a course (200) ... the best I got was 199 but the X ring was counting as 11 (remember that is an FCA rule now .... so if you shoot an 8 you can get back to clean or even by shooting 2 11s/Xs)
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

Shorter vanes like the blazers are hard to put a helical on unless you go out and buy Bohning's proprietary clamp for their Blazers.

Off set works just as well as helical and is easier to do without special clamps.

Lower profile vanes means that you'll probably save yourself some work re-fletching as the vanes won't get hit by other arrows so often - es[ecially when you're in and around the X ring.

Percentage? 90% for a 'rookie' on a strange course will be a lofty goal indeed. You are right in that yardage estimation will play a huge part in your success. Although, I've been at shoots where scoring didn't mstter and rangefinders were allowed to be used. My group used the rangefinder and our scores were not any different than just estimating the yardage. A few more points were gained - but nothing spectacular. After all - you still have to make the shot.

Hey, thanks guys, I can always count on you two. So just so I am sure an offset fletch, the back is centered on the jig and the front of the fletch is a degree or so to the right or left of center?? Cheers
    Last edited by RoscoeP; 12-07-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoeP View Post
    Hey, thanks guys, I can always count on you two. So just so I am sure an offset fletch, the back is centered on the jig and the front of the fletch is a degree or so to the right or left of center?? Cheers
    yep ... but most are done at 3 or 4 degrees ...
    the Bitz has the ability to change the offset (at least mine does anyway) .... I fletch mine up at 3.5 degrees as I found that is the most consistant and gives me the tightest groups ....

You may wanna play around with offsets to see what flys best for you .... to save a headache of constantly stripping and de-glueing your arrows ... you may wanna consider getting a bunch of wraps ... fletch up 3 at 2degrees .. 3 at 2.5 ...3 at 3 etc.... find what works best ( I prefer a long distance shot ... 40 ish or better so you can really see how you groups react with the differant offset) then all you gotta do is peel the wrap off put a new one on and fletch to your best grouping

Cheers
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

So how can you tell how many degrees it is offset, is it all eyeball as I only see one line on each adjustment dial?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    yep ... but most are done at 3 or 4 degrees ...
    the Bitz has the ability to change the offset (at least mine does anyway) .... I fletch mine up at 3.5 degrees as I found that is the most consistant and gives me the tightest groups ....

You may wanna play around with offsets to see what flys best for you .... to save a headache of constantly stripping and de-glueing your arrows ... you may wanna consider getting a bunch of wraps ... fletch up 3 at 2degrees .. 3 at 2.5 ...3 at 3 etc.... find what works best ( I prefer a long distance shot ... 40 ish or better so you can really see how you groups react with the differant offset) then all you gotta do is peel the wrap off put a new one on and fletch to your best grouping

Cheers

should be a set screw and adjustment lines on the jig .... maybe the new ones dont have it ... My Bitz is about 30 years old
    A true Archery Nut

None on mine, only the centering lines. This will make things a little more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    should be a set screw and adjustment lines on the jig .... maybe the new ones dont have it ... My Bitz is about 30 years old

Quote Originally Posted by RoscoeP View Post
    None on mine, only the centering lines. This will make things a little more difficult.
    Lots of pros and just general good shooters have and use straight vanes , does it make a difference ? will you notice a better score ? will they fly straighter ? stabalize quicker / better ? lose speed ? 3 vanes ? 4 vanes ?( which i currently like ) are all tasters choice , the options are endless.........fletch some straight for now as thats what your jig offers , get good at fletching cause it is an art and move on and enjoy the experimenting from there.

Straight 1-1/2'' fusions on VAP's keeps it very simple for me and they work for all 3 disciplines of archery I work at , 3d , hunting and 900 rounds
    Releases are definately a comfort thing for each archer , what works for one doesnt necesarily mean it'll work for all, use whats comfortable...........
    tried most of them , trigger , thumb , back tension but am really liking the Carter Choclate right now, used it last year in 3d and this year on a succesful archery elk hunt ..........try lots of them , some guy name Detmar Trellis recently one Vegas with a finger plunkin release
    Last edited by Ruger4; 12-08-2011 at 05:35 PM.

I use a helical on my hunting arrows only. Helps stabalize my broad head better and tightens my groups up.

For my 3D arrows I offset them a degree or two but I am using Fusion 1.5 vanes on a VAP Nano arrow so there isn't a lot of room to move them around. That is what I use for my best results. My largest weakness is judging yardages consistently.

This is just my opinion and take it for what its worth. I would try and get out of the wrist strap release and shoot some thumb style releases. Especially if you are new to the sport. When I started I went right into the thumb and stuck with it and now I can't imagine shooting anything else then thumb or hinge style release. It has made me a better archer quicker in my opinion. I have also read quite a few books on articles on back tension. And Yes I am obsessed with accuracy.

Good luck and have fun
    Success = Marry the right person, this single decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery.