Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mater the Griffon

Mater the Griffon

Some of you guys have seen him on the doberman thread but i'm giving him his own thread now. He was 9 weeks when we got him and he is just shy of 12 weeks today. He is calm, attentive and responsive. He sits well and retrieves ok for a young age. I'm trying to do the right things but I'm also just "winging it" with the help of books/dvd , youtube, this site. He is a family dog and fits in well with our older doberman, 2 cats, 3mon/3yr old kids + more. He puts a slow stalk on the cats around the house and is very interested in the rabbit hutches out back. He loves feathers and seems to have a good drive for anything game'e .
    We mostly do 5 mins of retrieving a couple of times a day + the standard house training/social training. I'm just trying to be calm,assertive and dominent. I really like his patience and he looks like a thinker. I know I havent even broke the surface of training yet but I'm happy so far. Here is a short vid of some back yard mallard wing retrieves and a few pics. I've learned to leave as little meat on the wing as possible. As it thaws it attracts his taste buds a little too much. I try and correct as soon as possible but I should probably be using a 20' lounge to correct him if he doesnt come straight back
    Last edited by yamadirt 426; 12-04-2011 at 04:52 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mater the Griffon

First fetch on video
    Last edited by yamadirt 426; 12-04-2011 at 07:04 PM.

He's a beauty. Gotta love Griffs...they do it all as gun dogs and are great pets.

Where is the breeder located?
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 12-04-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    To warm barrels and cold noses

I got him out of Montana. Ear Mountain

Nice!! Wondered what your neighbor was going to think when you shot! Love your sound effects.

Looks good. Your pup has a great attitude. Got a couple suggestions for you. I would have ended after your third toss of the wing. You always want to end on a REALLY high note, when everything is going right and not try to get "just one more" retrieve in.

At around 3.15 in the video you correct him for not giving up the wing. You tell him "no" strongly, tap him on the face, tell him no a bunch of times, hold the wing in front of his face, and tell him no some more. The next retrieve he does not come back to you. There is a direct correlation between your correction and his not coming back to you. I'm actually surprised after all that that he went for the wing again. Fair number of pups would not have.

At his age going out and getting the wing, bringing it back to you should be a cause for a PARTY! Don't be so quick to take the wing away from him. Get him back to you but fluff him up and tell him he is the greatest dog in the world! He wants the wing which is why he is retrieving it. If Dad doesn't make it a party and puts to many rules in at this stage of the game, pup is going to not want to come back...or go.

And you are right...he should be on a 20 foot or so rope.

Thank you so much Kasomor. I will keep it to just a few tosses and I will party it up from now. I do notice he fades after 4 or more tosses. I will post more as I go. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    He's a beauty. Gotta love Griffs...they do it all as gun dogs and are great pets.

Where is the breeder located?
    I noticed your posts when i was researching the breed. How is your dog doing ? What type of hunting do you do ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    Nice!! Wondered what your neighbor was going to think when you shot! Love your sound effects.

Looks good. Your pup has a great attitude. Got a couple suggestions for you. I would have ended after your third toss of the wing. You always want to end on a REALLY high note, when everything is going right and not try to get "just one more" retrieve in.

At around 3.15 in the video you correct him for not giving up the wing. You tell him "no" strongly, tap him on the face, tell him no a bunch of times, hold the wing in front of his face, and tell him no some more. The next retrieve he does not come back to you. There is a direct correlation between your correction and his not coming back to you. I'm actually surprised after all that that he went for the wing again. Fair number of pups would not have.

At his age going out and getting the wing, bringing it back to you should be a cause for a PARTY! Don't be so quick to take the wing away from him. Get him back to you but fluff him up and tell him he is the greatest dog in the world! He wants the wing which is why he is retrieving it. If Dad doesn't make it a party and puts to many rules in at this stage of the game, pup is going to not want to come back...or go.

And you are right...he should be on a 20 foot or so rope.
    I just did another session with him. I gave him 3 tosses and got 3 great retrieves. Had a party each time. He was stoked. I let him carry the wing up the back stairs and to the door for a reward. Thanks again.

A very good video and a nice dog.

Quote Originally Posted by yamadirt 426 View Post
    I just did another session with him. I gave him 3 tosses and got 3 great retrieves. Had a party each time. He was stoked. I let him carry the wing up the back stairs and to the door for a reward. Thanks again.
    AWESOME!!

You want him EXCITED and HAPPY with every retrieve and you want him to know that YOU are thrilled with him...and you want to quit with him REALLY WANTING more cause you are building his innate drive and desire.

I let my pups hold onto the bird while I'm fluffing them up to.