Thread: combo bino, rangefinders.

combo bino, rangefinders.

Has anyone used the swarovski 8x30 bino, laser rangefinder combo? If so what do you think?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: combo bino, rangefinders.

I am not familiar with these but the idea of the combo is awesome. A hunting friend uses the zeiss model. He ranges everything and it has helped his range estimation ability greatly. When he does spot something to shoot, he knows the range immediately. I have not used my stand alone rangefinder many times because time was of essance. His zeiss ranges stuff at incredible distance as well. I have ranged trees at 1700m. They are heavy though.

We just picked up a used Bushnell range/bino combo. It is nice to be able to range fairly quickly with them, but I find that they are a compromise and sometimes a bit distracting. The "circle" or target locater for the range finder is always up and it takes away from the experience of a crystal clear picture. As well, it is heavy to hold up for longer periods of glassing. I tend to use them just as a range finder or when I am in the truck going along a logging road and need to take a quick look. When the funds permit, I will probably spring for a separate small rangefinder.
    Last edited by lawlu; 12-03-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    Hunt hard, but hunt smart.

Quote Originally Posted by buford19 View Post
    Has anyone used the swarovski 8x30 bino, laser rangefinder combo? If so what do you think?
    They are just hitting the market now.I don't think any local dealers will have them for a while.Leica ,and Zeiss have similar models.

I think the problem is the weight and the cost. Stand alone rangefinders are pretty cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

well, they're coming out with lenses for glasses and contact lenses that can stream data. mebe they'll make em so they can range find for us too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse
    eeeewwwww!! Factory ammo...

J-F is offline Thanks for generous GOS!

I treated myself this year, and got a pair of Leica Geovid. Expensive (about 2500-2600$) but I regret no penny spend on it so far. You amortize that over a life-time...

The binos are crystal clear, and the range finder is a real bonus. And I like having both in one, no extra parts floating around in my hunting gear.

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    I think the problem is the weight and the cost. Stand alone rangefinders are pretty cheap.
    They are heavier than just binos obviously, but for many people that carry both a bino and rangefinder, it is generally (at least with the Leicas)an overall reduction in weight then...I don't even carry my rangefinder any more...simply because enough playing around and using it in the field has taught me both how to range very accurately without it, and that I don't want to be digging around in my waist belt pockets for it.

If you feel you need a range finder, I think the combo model is an excellent choice. But be prepared to be lifting the extra weight 50 or 100 times a day.
    Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies.
    Support www.residentpriority.ca

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
    Lowering the corporate tax rates is a good thing, it gives corporations more profits so they can afford to give employees raises and other perks. OR if the company is on the brink of financial disaser it can help to keep those jobs for a while longer.