Thread: Chasing a dream - Stone's SHEEP and Roosevelt ELK - PICTURE HEAVY

Re: Chasing a dream - Stone's SHEEP and Roosevelt ELK - PICTURE HEAVY

Great story so far!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Keep it up buddy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

I guess us Islanders forgot to mention Caluked boots (Studded Boots) sometimes are a great help!!!
    They do taste good! And i woulda shot it too

I shot him with my camera and green peaced him. Still, it was a huge rush! Plus, now I knew what was possible.

Many more herds of cows and young bulls were spotted, however I didn’t even stalk in on them. I would look them over, checking for big bulls, and then move on. I would see an average of two herds a day. Most groups having 8-12 cows and the occasional young bull. I wanted to hold out for at least a 5x5 antlered bull. That would be the smallest I would shoot at this point in the hunt. A 5x5 with a bow would have a good place on my wall.

About day 5 of the hunt I found a different herd that had 4 bulls and 9 cows. One of the bulls made my eyes a little bigger so I grabbed my spotting scope and zoomed in on him. Much to my delight he met my mark with 5 solid points on each side.

I checked the wind and set up a stalk. Driving like a maniac to try and figure out how to get my truck down into that cut block I raced up and down the road. However each way in was blocked with massive cut aways in the deactivated road. Not one month ago there was a truck in here I was sure of it. But in that time the road had been closed. I would have to hike down roughly 700 yards through a brutal cut block to reach them. Using a water falling creek I slipped down to just above them. The wind was not good, but this was my only way into this block without being spotted by the herd. I figured if I could get to a certain log pile I would have a 50-60 yard shot. Then just pop up and my hunt would be done.

Two of the other bulls

I rose above the log pile with my arrow knocked. They were not where they were supposed to be. They had dropped over the bank and down, nearer to the cows. I got to the landing they had vacated and slipped off my rubber boots and my rain pants. I was going to be close. I eased over the embankment and got into position behind a small pile of logs.

Lifting the range finder I found them at 75 yards down hill. Easy-ish shot to make. I practice regularly at 70 yards, and I group under 7 inches. This would not be a chip shot, but it was definitely doable. I watched the 4 bulls as they locked horns and pushed each other around. As the two sets of bulls sparred with each other I had difficulty telling which one was the 5 point through the tangle of horns. Watching the bull spar was a treat in itself. I was almost mesmerized as if watching Lorne Green's New Wilderness in the 80's. He was definitely the biggest of the 4. He was perfectly broadside. It was his time....
    Last edited by BiG Boar; 11-29-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

I know this is kinda post retractiong but,,, i was wondering why you came that far to shoot a 4x4,,,,,,,,,, but id still have shot him

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Well I'm in the Philippines now, and I'll probably meet Big Boar in Vietnam and slap him for all of you, will that suffice? (Then we'll drink lotsa beers)
    Great thread BB, livin' the fream.
    The Bia Hoi sounds good. The slap is probably deserved.
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    I guess us Islanders forgot to mention Caluked boots (Studded Boots) sometimes are a great help!!!
    They do taste good! And i woulda shot it too
    Caulked Boots were mentioned by Timber Jack on here. Unfortunately I was leaving too quickly to get them in time. Would have definitely saved a lot of falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Blainer View Post
    This tale is frickin brilliant!
    Check back later from Hawaii
    Aloha
    Blainer, you're missing out on all this good rain! Its so nice here. Just kidding it totally sucks. Stay an extra week if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrews View Post
    Like the looks of that camo. Brand?
    The brand is Kuiu. Its only sold online. However it is unbelievable stuff. I bought all the gear they offer. I have hunted 110 days this season and been wearing it on every hunt. It is incredibly well built and well designed. The rain gear is incredible stuff. On this wet coast hunt you still take some rain in the neck area that can be exposed to sideways rain, but for the most part I was totally dry coming back to camp. All of their gear is incredibly fast drying too. I have to say I am impressed.

I can't tell you yet what the pack is capable of, but I'll just say it is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghillie View Post
    Is that electrical tape over your barrel? My uncle does this and I thought he was losing it! Does it really work?
    Yes it is electrical tape. Yes it works to keep dirt, rocks, twigs, or water from entering the barrel and causing your gun to explode as the bullet meets any kind of resistance. Most guys on here do it. It won't affect the shot, just shoot right through it.