Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New shotgun?

New shotgun?

I've been shooting a 1957 Remington 870 Wingmaster (2 3/4) with a plain barrel for the last three years and I'm getting more serious about waterfowling.

I think I'd like a 3-inch shotgun with a ribbed barrel. Whenever I shoot friends' ribbed shotguns at clays, I find I hit better than with my plain barreled shotgun.

I'm also interested in a synthetic stock and the most weather resistant gun I can get, so I've been looking at new shotguns.

I'm seriously considering a Mossberg 535 ATS pump or the new Mossberg 930 semi-auto. The 930 is probably a little rich for my blood at about $550, and the 535 would be more in my price range at $277.99 in the Plain Jane black syth stock version .

I'm used to a pump gun, but after trying a couple semi autos recently, I quite like them.

Given that price range, what would you choose?

Other recomendations?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New shotgun?

I just traded in my remington 1187 semi-auto 3" at Reliable Gun and Tackle in Vancouver. I think they put it out for $500. I really liked the 1187 and considered having a middle bead welded on.

I really liked a buddy's 11-87 I handled last fall, but I understand they don't reliably cycle with light 2 3/4 -inch target loads. I like to shoot sporting clays in the off-season.

What do you like about the middle bead?

I had no problem with 2 3/4" clay loads on it. I never had any cycling issues with it. You have to clean it regularly - the gas ports can quickly add layers on the tubular magazine and slow down your cycling.

The middle bead really helps with sighting a target quickly. I have it on my Benelli and I can sight really quickly.

After years of owning very fine shotties, I realized that I am not a real scattergunner and never fired many of them, so, I sold them all and then bought a Benelli Nova, the ugliest gun I have EVER owned. From a contact made through a friend on CGN, I bought a scope mount for it and installed some old Leupy QRW rings and a Leupy 2.5x HDM scope I used to have on my drilling. Bingo, Turkey gun plus duck/goose gun and even good for slugs, mine is the short bbl'ed. Turkey version, in black and it is one MEAN lookin' MFer!

These cast about $520.00 at WSS or Russell's, I bought locally so paid more, something I am going to stop doing as there is no good reason to support higher prices, but, THIS to me, is the pump gun to buy. It is going to go to my nephew in about 30 years when I am 90 and getting tired of hunting and I bet it will still be truckin', then.

PGKris Guest

Benelli? Defintely worth a good hard look.

Your budget provides quite a restriction and you should strongly consider WHAT YOU THINK YOU WILL use it for in the future, aka future hedging.

No smart waterfowler will argue that the single best and most reliable pump gun within that price range is the 870 express. Been around for over 30 years, based on much older models and proven day in day out. I have one that's 20 years old and semi retired as it just go shot TOO MUCH! Used to put 400+ rounds a week through it year round on clays, and then hunt as well.. But is still works well!

I presently shoot a Winchester Super X2 ($1000+/-) and will say in the semi auto market there is no comparison, let alone when you compare the price, and it'sw belgium made ta boot! I would also say this is the single most over looked shotgun on the market. Folks will spend twice as much to get a benelli SBE or alike with poor fit and finish and an atroshish record of factory defects (in the 50% range). The berretta 390's have only a slightly better track record then the 11-87 - 1100's, but once again your costs climb.

The issue of light loads is usually way overstated, I shoot 1oz light loads with mine no issue and the only guns I've seen with cycling problems are the older humpies and 1100 with the wrong rings installed. The berrtta pintail which is the original benelli action is noted for not liking light rounds.

So I think your first key decision is pump or semi, and then try to shoot a few different ones before you buy. Then go from there and strongly consider the used market. A used 11-87 is really easy to get parts for, as is an 870. Less so for anything overseas.

I just bought an 870 Express Super Magnum from Lebaron for $320 delivered. It's synthetic with a vented rib and shoots 2 3/4, 3 & 3 1/2. It has the Remchoke system but only comes with a full steel/lead choke. It is the first time that I have dealt with Lebaron and I was quite impressed I had it at my door within the week.

Jamie

Being an 870 user already , I am very tempted by the 870 Express, but I have heard horror stories of their susceptibility to rust.

Rust is a maintenance issue, take care of your gun, and it will take care of you! I've hunted salt water near exclusively for the last 8 years and outside of the a small smudge or two from my own stupidity never had a rust issue.

In the $300 range you are not going to get chrome lined barrels, or some of the other rust inhibitive treatments.

Get some G-96 (all around good gun spray) or fluid film and hose er down!

Ian