Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cougar Hounds

Cougar Hounds

Which hound breed(s) is/are best for cat hunting?
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cougar Hounds

This is a loaded question. Heres what I like in a hound, small, fast, cold nose, ability to THINK, aggresive towards quarry, grit at the tree to keep quarry up. I'm patial to blk & tans colors, but all my hounds,(curs) have a mix of breeds in them..
    My lead hound (cur) is 1/4 blood hound, 1/4 walker, and 1/2 jagd terrier. a little to aggresive towards most male dogs in a dog box, but the perfect dog at the tree..
    The smaller the dog the longer/faster he can run..
    This is my opinion, which will differ from what others want in a hound..
    Dave.
    I forgot to mention, instinct is a huge part of a hounds ability, to track game with any consistancy.
    For example, I have a redbone hound, that trees blow down if he can't walk across it he will bay like he's treeing. (drives me nuts)
    He has been shown dozens of times to go around, but he just cant get it..
    if you are starting out with puppies, it's a crap shoot.
    Last edited by digger dogger; 11-27-2011 at 10:47 AM.

I do not claim to be a houndsman but years ago we ran cats and bear I had a couple of Red Bones and they were great fantastic cold noses and lots of "drive" good at bay and got along with all the other dogs I ran them with. Gave them to one of my hunting partners when i moved and he had nothing but good to say for years to come.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I cant agree that a small dog can run faster or further then a larger dog of the correct conformation, thats the whole reason running dogs tend to be taller but not to heavy built .

The heart size ,cardiovasular system and physical design has more to do with speed and stamina then just the fact a dog is large or small.

A good small dog may have more speed and stamina then a slow big dog but all things being equal a good big dog will have more speed and stamina then a good small dog in the open terrain.

Its horses for courses so in open terrain the taller proportioned running dog will do better but in tight stuff the smaller dogs have an easier time move quicker and are way easier to handle.

As for breeds .

get a dog from a good bloodline regardless of breed and you increase the chances of getting a good dog but then again that dog can be easily ruined by a bad trainer or bad encounter with a gater etc so even the best blood can be thrown out the window.

With the seven distinct breeds of coonhounds its more important to find a line of dogs you want with the desired traits you want then to focus on just the breed as an indicater of what the dog will be like.

Within each breed they have lines that have certain traits that work best in certain terrain and conditions so figure out the traits you want.

For me i like larger but still within breed standards hound with prey-drive,stamina a booming voice matched with a git er dun attitude ,a cold nose and the ability to problem solve. These qualities can be found in many lines of all 7 breeds.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

from my experience small/ runt hounds area faster than any large breed hound. Believe it! I've watched many chases via my garmin handheld and seen it go down live.

The smaller hounds move through blow down and thick forest like a flash. The only benefit I see from a large breed hound is it being able to run in deeper snow than a smaller hound
    Last edited by BCHunterTV; 11-28-2011 at 06:23 AM.

Danny
    Next time we are out we should put all our dogs on each others garmins so we can all see whats going on. (i could probably do with the help of finding mine after i lose them also)
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

I run all types I have 2 blue tic 2 walkers 1 b&t redbone cross all work awsome my cross is the best he is the smartest but also the oldest so that brings me to the real point the more you hunt them the better they get and I mean really hunt them put as much game under them as possible they will only get better that's my two cents

The bounty hunters of yesteryear used what ever would run a lion. More often than not, it was a collie dog that got the job done. Many farmers had collies for tending their livestock, and the lion hunters of the time were on record for favoring the collie as a lion getter. Some of these bounty hunters caught hundreds of lions in their time. Yes, hundreds.

we had a plot hound that would run anything.. he was mainly a bear dog but he would run cats as whell. this dog had the hunt in him with no training. before we got him his old owners said he would leave for days running bears. he was six years old when we got him and he was the best dog you could ask for. it hardly took any training, once we got him to stay at the tree he was set. he was very agressive towards bears and cats but not other dogs. he once had a big female bear at the base of a tree. her cubs were up the tree. she would lunge at him when he would get in close and he would spin around and bite the bear in the butt. he was too fast for bears and had great character. the only thing for cats was he had really short hair so he would get cold.

The real question is why are you asking?