Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Sights vs Scope for BC Hunting

Iron Sights vs Scope for BC Hunting

Hi,

I have a Husky 8mm Mauser that I want to use for hunting. I'm wondering whether I should use the stock irons which are 100, and have flipup 200 and 300 m sights on the rear sight. I feel like hunting in BC is usually in the forests or pastures/meadows/farm fields etc. and shots are going to be usually within 200 yards. With an 8x57 round, I could probably hit things easily using the irons (paper plate size). What do you think? It'd make the rifle light, quick, easy to handle, and cheaper. What kind of group size should I have at 200 yards to be good for hunting using irons?

Or should I just scope it because with a Husky and the 8mm mauser, the potential for range and accuracy is worth it?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Iron Sights vs Scope for BC Hunting

Open sights have their place as well as scopes. In the bush open sights should be faster to get on a moving animal, but a scope will give you longer shooting time in dim lighting conditions. A scope will also allow you to see through the brush so to speak to be certain of what you are shooting at, sometimes you can't see if a deer has antlers or not with your naked eye.
    I have shot deer through the bush when I could only pick out an eye looking through a scope and couldn't see him with without.
    Open sights are less cumbersom and lots of game has been taken with them. If you can hit a pie plate at 200 yds I think that you should do well at the closer ranges you are likly to encounter in the bush.

A scope is a superior aiming device for a rifle, but iron sights work as well in 2011 as they did 100 years ago, especially aperture or "peep" sights. Like everything, practice is what is going to make you deadly with irons.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

If you could find a second hand scope not to pricey, it might be a good idea. My first rifle (a very long time ago) which I bought at Canadian Tire for 50 bucks, was a used 303 British Army rifle. Iron sights with the flip up rear sight for long range shooting. I got some pointers from a gunsmith and managed to carefully drill a few holes for a base plate from which to install a scope. Yes, iron sights can have an advantage at fast close up shots, but for the most part a scope will give you better clarity especially in low light conditions. With so many regulations stipulating point restrictions, you have to really get a good look at the animal in order to determine if it is legal to shoot. For just that reason alone, I would definitely try to install a scope, if of course it's not to pricey. By the way, I still have that old rifle after 41 years. It actually makes a good back up rifle for a friend when needed.
    One more note concerning group size. On a deer for example the kill zone is roughly the size of a soccer ball. A larger animal such as a moose, the kill zone is a bit larger, about the size of a basketball. That being said, no matter what setup you are using, be it gun, bow, iron sights, scope, whatever, if you can't CONSISTENTLY hit that size of kill zone at whatever distance you are shooting at, then you are shooting beyond your ability. So in a nutshell you must always be able to shoot within the kill zone, or don't pull the trigger.
    Last edited by hunterdon; 11-26-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

BC is a big place with pretty diverse conditions. Anywhere on the coast (sub alpine) you are probably just fine with the irons but I'd be more inclined to give it a lower power scope for those occasions when you're shooting at something 100+ yards away say on the other side of a clear cut or across a valley. If you're in the more open interior you're gonna want at least a 3x-9x. Get into the alpine and you may want to got up to a 14x. Personally I like a scope and don't find it slows me down at aquiring a target compared to irons and the 3x-9x pretty much does it all just fine.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

I was going to use my binoculars to spot the animal and gauge distance and surrounding before using the irons to shoot. I heard that the 2-7x33 scopes are pretty good. light and handy. was thinking of the leupold vx-1

It's not even close between these two choices, a scope is far, far, far, superior.

SHAKER is offline Hound dawger reborn......

Quote Originally Posted by hunterdon View Post
    With so many regulations stipulating point restrictions, you have to really get a good look at the animal in order to determine if it is legal to shoot. For just that reason alone, I would definitely try to install a scope,

100% agree! With the above and we owe it to the animals we're trying to harvest to dispatch them in the most humane way possible and a scope without a doubt is the way to go unless your hunting everthing within 50 yards in the thick stuff then maybe? but even then I might opt for something like a 1.5x 4 or simalar scope.
    The thread stopper!

Bow Walker Guest

One other thing about iron (or open) sights......the front bead or tang will be almost completely covering the animal at anything past 80 or 90 yards. Pretty much anyway. Making a one-shot kill a very dicey thing to pull off.

A scoped rifle is a precision aiming/killing weapon. At closer yardages - less than 70 yards - it doesn't make any difference, but out beyond 100 yards you'll be awfully glad that you've got a scope on your gun.

A really good scope (for relatively cheap money) is a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40...........less than $220 - if your funds are really tight you could even go for a Crossfire in the same configuration for less than $130

Thats like asking 243 or 300WM for hunting in B.C. it depends on what and where. I have a Mod.95 '06 saddle carbine I use open sights and they are sighted in for 75yds. I also have a 300WM with a 3-9 sighted in 3"high at 100yds. My take with a 8mm would be a resonably prices 3-9 sighted in about 2' high at 100yds all your bases should be covered then
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.