Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What's a good rifle for hunting all ungulates??

Re: What's a good rifle for hunting all ungulates??

280 REM, also known as the 7mm express. Faster than the 270 with the same bullet and flatter shooting, more accurate with more punch at distance than the 30-06. Plus its cool. Case closed.

280 Remington vs. 270 Winchester

The .280 Remington is capable of generating slightly higher velocities with a given bullet weight than the .270 Winchester, and also able to use heavier bullets due to the larger .284" diameter. .284" bullets also have higher ballistic coefficients at the top of the weight spectrum than .277" bullets. The greater energy and higher ballistic coefficient of heavier .284" bullets give the .280 Remington a slight ballistic advantage over the .270 Winchester.[3][4]
    [edit]280 and .30-06

The .280 Remington is capable of developing energy nearly equal to the .30-06 Springfield, but with lighter bullets having a better ballistic coefficient. Thus, the .280 has a better trajectory and retains more energy downrange. The .30-06 produces more energy than the .280 with bullets heavier than 180 grains, though .284" 175 grain bullets have a high sectional density of .310, compared to the 30-06 180 grain bullet with a moderate sectional density of .271. The .280 is suitable for hunting any game in North America with good shot placement.
    SAAMI pressure limit for the .280 Remington is set at 60,000 PSI, 50,000 CUP.[1]
    Most American rifle and ammunition manufacturers catalogue the .280 Remington.

check out this site for the m77 hawkeye for sale 280 rem. with scope $800.00 seams like a good deal. if I had the cash the would be mine.....

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Lovemywinchester,

can't disagree with you that the 280 isn't a great caliber and the one you have for sale would fit the bill perfectly for the OP at a good price to boot !

But I'm not sure what would make it more accurate then the 30-06 ,just curious can you explain ?
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Lovemywinchester,

can't disagree with you that the 280 isn't a great caliber and the one you have for sale would fit the bill perfectly for the OP at a good price to boot !

But I'm not sure what would make it more accurate then the 30-06 ,just curious can you explain ?
    Just the fact that it is a flatter shooting round. Less drop over a long distance should allow for less guess work in shooting an animal. If you are shooting a moose at 400 yds the bullet will drop more and have less energy at impact from a 30-06. Here is an example:
    For a 150 grain bullet (federal)
    280 at 300yds drops 12.2 inches - 30-06 with same bullet drops 13.6 inches.

280 at 300 yds has 1690 ft pounds of energy and at 500yds it still has 1173 ft pounds of energy
    30-06 at 300 yds has 1442 ft pounds. At 500 yds it has only 873 ft pounds of energy.

Now I am certainly no expert on ballistics but you can't argue with the math. If I am taking a shot at a moose at 500 yds my 280 with a 150 gr bullet will hit it harder and I will not have to compensate for as much drop by aiming way over its back. That will make for a more accurate shot. This is for guys like me that don't hand load and don't have expensive scopes that do the figuring for ya.

I will throw my hat into the 30-06 ring. If it is your first rifle, and will be your only rifle for some time, and if you don't handload, the 06 will give you a huge selection of bullets and loads to choose from. There is everything from 125 gr. reduced recoil loads all the way up to full 220 gr. load. You can find 06 ammuntion anywhere. It is relatively inexpensive compared to some of the more exotic or magnum chamberings, allowing you to practice a lot without breaking the bank. The 30-06 is also chambered by every rifle manufacturer out there and no doubt you will be able to find one in whatever configuration you end up wanting to buy, new or used. It's not fancy or flashy, but it will get the job done on any ungulate you would ever encounter. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, all. Elkaddict, I thank you for your message; a wide range of guns and ammo, as well as availability is very important to me.

you can purchase 30-06 rounds at floormart.
    *30-06 180g h4350*

All of the above posts are right on as to which rifle is good for the purposes that you describe. Just pick one they will all work. It all depends on what you like, a 30/06 will do just fine for elk and moose, at reasonable ranges, (inside 600 meters or so). A 30/30 will work for deer at closer ranges 100-200 meters or in dense cover where the shooting is fast and close. I myself like the 375H&H as it is the one rifle that will do everything except varmint hunting. Look at a 06 with a 24 inch barrel if you can find one and you will do fine with that as your first rifle. A 22 inch barrel will give you 2700FPS at the muzzle with a 168grain bullet which is Max effective range to 600 yards which is farther than you should be shooting anyway. A 24 inch barrel will give you slightly over 2800FPS at the muzzle depending on powder with a 168gr bullet. 100FPS does not sound like much but it is a lot when talking MV. and it will send the bullet even further out by 75 yards or so to increase you max effective range. Smaller caliber such as the 270 will also do the job. Just about everybody that has more than one big game rifle also has a 7em em in the old gun safe,
    which will do everything the aught6 will do. I was talking to my eye doctor yesterday when I had an exam and he is a shooter. He has a 270 Tika that is light and accurate like stink. It shoots 3 inch groups at 500 meters out the box. you cant do better than that.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester
    Last edited by eaglesnester; 12-09-2011 at 04:38 PM.

.22 rimfire, .270, 30.06, and .300WM, you'll find these in any village general store that has ammo, and in
    well equipped shops you'll find the best variety of ammo in these calibres.
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

7mm good for all sizes
    270wsm is a really nice gun but kinda small for a big moose
    300 RUM nicest gun ever some people say this is a bit big for smaller deer and such but it doesnt matter cause if you double loung the animal your not gonna ruin meat with the shot anyways its only bad it you gut shot or start hitting quarders but awsome for taking the long shots and only ever have to use 1 bullet