Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a good rifle for hunting all ungulates??

Question What's a good rifle for hunting all ungulates??

I'm just starting out hunting and haven't yet purchased a rifle. I only want to buy a single gun right now, but will likely hunt a number of ungulates with it over the next few years. What is a good single caliber for hunting deer, elk, moose, caribou, etc? What is the real-world application for different calibers (ie: why do some people like .338 and others 30-06, etc)?

Any information is greatly appreciated
    Thank you so much
    Cody

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What's a good rifle for hunting all ungulates??

Have a look at this
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...0-Why-a-magnum

It kinda helps understand it a bit,,, sort of.
    .380win .270 30-06 will do all you need and not hurt your shoulder or pocket.
    .270Win Rules!

Magnums dont kill deer,,,, bullets do.

i have a 30 06 and like it alot. at the range i shoot at in the woods it will kill anything. just get shooting your gun and know it well.

Thanks. The thread was somewhat helpful, but still everyone has their own personal preference. What makes someone have a preference for one caliber over another? Why do you like the .270Win so much? I've shot quite a bit in the past, but not enough to know the difference between the calibers of rifle. I know I want bolt-action, though.

I'll likely be doing some range shooting, as well, so effective range is important, as is (obviously) accuracy.

Get yourself a 270 , very little recoil , flat shooting, and it will kill everything from small game to big game . Deer, Moose and Elk

A bolt action rifle is a good place to start. The caliber selection is the difficult one. A .308 caliber bullet is a happy compromise in BC it gives you a huge selection of bullet weights and and action length options and if you don't reload a great selection factory bullets to choose from. The time tested 30-06 springfield is a great first caliber to start with it is considered a long action rifle. I am biased as it was my first hunting caliber. What ever you narrow your selection down to do your research, read reloading manuals (look at muzzle velocities and bullet energy at various distances, bullet drop) if you have access to them. Talk to people at the shooting range they may let you shoot thier rifle so you know more about a specific caliber. It is your hunting rifle start out right and you may hand it down in your family, start out wrong and you will be look for the right one again. Good Luck

3 choices. 3006, 308 or 270. if you go with 308 you might want to use premium 165 gr so you don't have to switch from deer to moose or elk. if you go with 270 then you might to use premium 130's or 140's for the same reason.

have fun.

R

Hey I am actually in the same situation and have decided to go with the 30-06. Just after all the research and the available ammo that is what I have come up with. Currently looking at the winchester model 70, savage model 114 American classic and a browning a-bolt

A best caliber for them all will be a personal preference in most cases. Get as much info, ballistics etc on the most common calibers, 270,308,30-06 and maybe the 300 win. Look at them all and decide, then look at rifles themselves in a price range that fits your budget. Last thing to remember, no matter what you decide on, bullet placement is the most important thing, if you hammer a bull moose at 100 yard in the boiler room with 30-06 he is not going far, If you miss that spot at 75 yards with a 300 win mag you may loose him. Last thing I can add is welcome to the site, and have fun wth whatever you decide.

30/06 pretty much good for anything bear,deer,moose,elk exc.