Thread: Great day blacktail hunting and of course, some questions

Great day blacktail hunting and of course, some questions

I went out today on a solo trip to find the deer making the trails I had seen on grouse hunting trips. The fresh snow made finding fresh trails a no-brainer. Working slowly along a trail (thank you brian), I spotted a deer through the trees. I was loaded, ready to go, good backstop but before aiming to take the shot, I waited to make sure it had antlers – no dice, a doe. The doe walked off into the woods and I was left at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. I investigated the spot where I saw the deer and found 3 bedding sites within a couple of meters (snow melted down to the moss) so my thought is a doe and two fawns?

I also heard some grunting/whistling that I was hoping was a buck but did not see or hear anything more.

I followed another set of tracks and after remembering to look up from the tracks, spotted another deer. I was getting set up and looking for antlers but was made. The deer gave a grunt/whistle and headed off into the bush at high speed. I found another fresh bedding spot. I did not see antlers so I am not sure of the sex. Finding only one bedding spot seems to indicate this is a solo animal.

I don't quite know how to translate what I saw today into finding a buck. Following the does seems reasonable but am I missing something? I would greatly appreciate any tips on how to approach this hunt. Setting up a blind? Moving slowly through the bush?

Even without getting a buck it was an amazing day! Out hunting, great weather and actually seeing deer.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Great day blacktail hunting and of course, some questions

If the deer was buck, you would probably smell him.

Check the bed, look for some staining. If it is a buck, you will be able to smell him and find where his tarsal glands have left a stain in the snow.

At this time of year, use your nose as well and your eyes and ears, bucks will the rut smell on them.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

You are seeing deer so i,d say you are doing alright. The rut is still on so keep at it and the next deer you see might be a buck,good luck. Sitka is onto some thing when he talks about smelling bucks. My son in law got a buck last weekend, he said he smelled him before seeing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    If the deer was buck, you would probably smell him.

Check the bed, look for some staining. If it is a buck, you will be able to smell him and find where his tarsal glands have left a stain in the snow.

At this time of year, use your nose as well and your eyes and ears, bucks will the rut smell on them.

Cheers

SS
    This is so true - you can tell a lot from close observation. I remember being out with an Indian guide years ago. He was amazing. We saw some tracks. He got down and put his ear to the ground. A moment later he said, "Moose come!" I was amazed. I asked him, "How can you tell?" He replied, "Ear stuck to ground!"