Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Mulw deer population????

Mulw deer population????

just got back from a week of mule deer around the east kootenay and it was terrible and all ive heard from ppl that it was terrble too! just wondering if anyone else had any luck and what the problem was? over killing, wolf, cougar, just a tight year? or am i that piss poor of a hunter? thanks!
    jordan kasner

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mulw deer population????

I personally think that they are in decline around here. I have noticed over the past 3-4 years my mule deer haunts have become over run with WT's and I notice very few mule deer. Even on my trail cams that have bait on them and I normally get muleys coming to it. I don't know why its happening but it seems to me that something is up.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

I havent been out enough this year to say personally unfotunately - some friends who, however, have been out every weekend since Sept 1st seem to share your opinion.

Could be a variety of reasons. I haven't hunted in the EK for many years now so I have no first hand observations. However, I have found over the years that personal observations may not be a true indicator of actual animal numbers unless one is in the bush 7 days a week. Creatures move around a lot, weather coditions change, all kinds of variables affect actual sightings. Hopefully our wildlife manangers have a better idea of what is going on out there by using more scientific methods, but seeing the state of their budgets, I seriously doubt it.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

They never recovered from the terrible winter in 98.The ones that did were fed in town and now that`s the new range.I see some does but not many and almost no bucks untill after mid Nov.Season closes on Nov.15 so ..................shitty.Some get taken but not at all what it was.Whities don`t push them out,look up to Dawson Creek and Chetwyn,lots of both there.That winter wiped out whole populations of mulies,they don`t seem to bounce as well as elk and whities.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

By the way,I could have saved you a lot of time and money and so could all the other locals on this site.Next time,call ahead.Sorry your trip sucked.That`s lousy.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

We had so much snow up north last year and it stayed so long that it must have impacted the deer populations. Also, there seems to be a lot of wolves and bears these days. Almost everyone I've talked to this fall has either heard or seen wolves while hunting this fall.

what mule deer we have muley deer in the east kootenay can someone please send me a pic or two of a muley buck other than the ones in town ........our mule deer population is in serious trouble opeinging up youth season to any buck and then another month any buck .......come on people sometimes it time to wake up and smell the coffee .................. we have a mule deer crisis in our valley ...................... and with the state of the economy and all its not how we are to help our wildlife its how can we suck another $$$$$$$$$$$$ out of them ,,,,,,,,,,,,my two cents worth
    bigben

From where my hunts have led me this year, Region 3,5 and 8 had very healthy numbers of mule deer. I havent been in region 4 for a long time, so I persoanlly dont know. It seems a lot of Whities are being taken from region 4.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan klasner View Post
    just got back from a week of mule deer around the east kootenay and it was terrible and all ive heard from ppl that it was terrble too! just wondering if anyone else had any luck and what the problem was? over killing, wolf, cougar, just a tight year? or am i that piss poor of a hunter? thanks!
    jordan kasner
    Jordan - how many diff mule deer did you see ? and how many were bucks ? - how many does ? also did you see any or many whitetails and again how many bucks ? - does ? What area were you huntin ? Thks Jim