View Poll Results: do you think canned bison hunts are ok?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • undecided

3 12.50%
  • yes

12 50.00%
  • no

9 37.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: canned hunts(bison)

Quote Originally Posted by bone-collector
    well after seeing the costs involved both ways (LEH and "canned") I wouldnt hesitate to take a free range bison hunt for meat, $500 will get you a farm raised bison were we have gone in the past and it costed aprox 2100 to do the LEH by the time all was said and done including sled repairs etc
    I agree with you Bone collector . i think of it fine as far as bison go , Basiclly it is a meat run .
    Where do you get a farm raised Bison for 500 dollars Myself and a couple of others would be interested in that

bone-collector Guest
    there are a couple ranchers op in the dawson creek /fort st john area that will let you take out a 2 year old bull for around 500 bucks , we just stop and ask when we see a buffalo ranch sign on the highway

BCHunter Guest
    my buddy has done it before, there dresed to the nine in camo.

Bone are these animals afraid of people? meaning are they going to just walk up to you?

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunter
    my buddy has done it before, there dresed to the nine in camo.

Bone are these animals afraid of people? meaning are they going to just walk up to you?
    The guy up the roadfrom me that has bison would suggest they are NOT afraid of humans...He has had to kill a couple of his bulls when they decided humans were a good thing to charge at
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

bone-collector Guest
    yea I think Gate is pretty much right there kind of a miserable beast at the best of times and quite unpredictable , the ones up north were pretty much open range animals but not afraid of us either , it was for meat so I dont think anyone realy payed attention

I'd have no problem doing it for Bison if the land was a good size, $500 isnt a bad price for that much meat either. Like Bones said it would cost more for an leh in most cases, and you dont have to wait around waiting for the leh that you may never get.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

bone-collector Guest
    I am off duty for a few days I will see if I cant hunt down some ranchers that will let you stroke a buffalo on there ranch , I relize there isnt alot of "sport" in a canned hunt but if you ever paid the costs I keep hearing about from buddies that did get a bison LEH you may think again , hell they even have special snowmobile rentals set up now I hear , betcha those arent cheap

I know i would be interested
    Please let me know what you come up with.
    Thanks Kyle

It seems that lots of "field testing" of various hardware is done during "culling" programs at deer farms in the States. The bison hunt could be utilized to test out an individuals 'latest/greatest', on a Canadian sized medium. :P

Just a little caution here..

Make sure you are 'buying livestock' and not a 'hunt.'

You need to buy the bison, live with a bill of sale and all.

Once it is yours, you can dispose of it as you please. But to sell it as s hunt, you're asking for trouble. I heard of some rancher getting into a bit of trouble with the CO's because of this a few years back.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!